• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Machine Considering Buying a King 1236ML Looking for Opinions

Machine
I have a guy about 10 minutes away from me that has a King 1236 lathe in really good condition. Just looking for a small lathe to use around home and put some hours in (non-apprenticeship hours obviously). I was originally thinking a 1440 or so but here in PEI, they are few and far between locally.
He’s asking 4000, which new, not on sale is about half price, right now they generally sell for 6000 on sale and another 500 to 700 for the stand. Just looking for guys opinions, etc. It’s just going to be for minimal home shop use, but I do work with a lot of mild steel. Just wondering how well it will turn bushings, small shaft, pins, etc..

Going to spend some time on the forums making a list of do’s and don’ts and general practices as far as shop temperature settings, general care, etc. etc. I know the basics but feel free to FLOOD me with all your tidbits of information lol.

Thanks,
Jason

Yeah, I agree, unfortunately, they’re few and far between here. There was one here, a while, back identical, and sold for the same price with a guy coming from New Brunswick to pick it up. Still debating I’m in no rush either so we’ll see.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
$4000 is likely a good price if machines are hard to come by where you are.
If you're interested I would not hesitate to go look at it.

$4000 is likely a good price if machines are hard to come by where you are.
If you're interested I would not hesitate to go look at it.
Thanks, yes they are. It’s mine if I want it we just have to schedule a pick up from what I’ve read on the forms. Most people are happy with them. Hoping to glean some peoples opinions and experiences with them on here. Thanks guys.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It’s just going to be for minimal home shop use, but I do work with a lot of mild steel. Just wondering how well it will turn bushings, small shaft, pins, etc..

In my humble opinion, you will be very happy with a 12x36 for your stated needs. It won't complain or even get pissy on you for stuff like that. It's performance will be much more limited by your skill than by the machine itself.

If the previous owner has looked after it as well as you say he has, then you are a lucky SOB!

Going to spend some time on the forums making a list of do’s and don’ts and general practices as far as shop temperature settings, general care, etc. etc. I know the basics but feel free to FLOOD me with all your tidbits of information lol.

Shop Temp is not as important as keeping the humidity down below 60% to prevent corrosion. Of course, you will want to warm the shop and the machine up when you use it, but even that can be managed if that isn't practical. A rusty machine is a bad thing!

I don't think I've seen a general do's and don'ts list. Maybe you could start one here.

My very brief top 10 beginner suggestions are:

1. Familiarize yourself with all the controls and the safety systems BEFORE you turn your first part.

2. Never ever leave the key in the chuck.

3. No loose clothing or gloves allowed.

4. Use safety glasses.

5. Buy good quality way oil.

6. Buy good quality cutting oil for the metals you plan to work with.

7. Don't buy starter tooling kit sets. Buy only good tools as you need them.

8. Learn what crashes a lathe and go to sleep dreaming about it and then think about it non-stop when you are using your lathe.

9. Learn how to properly grind and use a HSS Tool Bit. Then study your usage patterns and buy a good Indexible carbide insert tool a few months later.

10. Always lubricate your lathe before and after use. In time you will learn what it needs, but start out over oiling.

Love your machine and it will love you back!

That’s great thanks for the pointers. I have run Our bigger machines at work, so I’m not a total noob but pretty damn close lol.
I’m not terribly happy with the price point because there isn’t much tooling with it, but it is half price of buying it new so we’ll see.

I have a heat pump in my shop now which if I do get a couple of machines like that, I will be probably running it on heat and then using my furnace whenever I’m out here, just have to figure out what the minimum temperature should be and yes, control the humidity. it might not even happen yet so we’ll see lol.

The only negative thing is he bought it from another gentleman who bought it new. The first guy seems to have misplaced the 4 jaw Chuck, I’m not even sure how you do that lol. The current owner is in contact with him and he is looking for it, but I’m not hopeful. It’s still not a dealbreaker, because they are readily available and not too crazy expensive but it does make the price seem even higher. he has someone else wanting to take it even without the four jaw because he has one of his own but since he gave me first offer, he’s sticking to a thankfully, but I don’t wanna wait too long.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Is it the same as the current model?

KC-1236ML.jpg

The King web page says it should come with:
Comes complete with 6"-3 jaw chuck, 8"-4 jaw chuck, imperial and metric gears, quick change tool post, steady rest, follow rest, 10" DI-4 camlock face plate, thread chasing dial indicator, MT#3 dead center, MT#3 arbor taper, 1/2" drill chuck, full length splash guard, tool box, chuck keys and hex. keys

If the 4-jaw is missing, are the steady and follow rests included? The "imperial and metric gears"? Etc. If some stuff is missing, I would be doing a little negotiating on the price.

On the plus side, it looks like it was equipped from King with a standard BXA toolpost? If it comes with some tool holders, that is valuable. Any steel stock or other metals included? Even a few pounds of material saves you plunking (as much) cash at your local metal pedlar.

Craig

Is it the same as the current model?

KC-1236ML.jpg

The King web page says it should come with:

If the 4-jaw is missing, are the steady and follow rests included? The "imperial and metric gears"? Etc. If some stuff is missing, I would be doing a little negotiating on the price.

On the plus side, it looks like it was equipped from King with a standard BXA toolpost? If it comes with some tool holders, that is valuable. Any steel stock or other metals included? Even a few pounds of material saves you plunking (as much) cash at your local metal pedlar.

Craig
Yeah I have the spec sheet printed off and everything else is there. No scrap material, but I have more than my share of that lol. The original owner may find the chuck, but who knows.
It Does have the quick change tool post, I plan on picking up a few holders so any recommendations or links will be greatly appreciated and for tooling as well. Probably an 8 inch four jaw as well. Starting off I probably won’t even need the jaw just for the fact that probably won’t be doing any odd shaped pieces, or anything that needs to be more precise than the three jaw can do. If I have to, I can always do it at work lol. Jumping way ahead here but if it does work out. I may equip it with the a DRO in the future. I’d like to do it old-school first.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m not terribly happy with the price point because there isn’t much tooling with it, but it is half price of buying it new so we’ll see.

I dunno. If the machine is in the shape you described. It's a very good price. To get it for less it would have to be worn or need repair.

I have a heat pump in my shop now which if I do get a couple of machines like that, I will be probably running it on heat and then using my furnace whenever I’m out here, just have to figure out what the minimum temperature should be and yes, control the humidity. it might not even happen yet so we’ll see lol.

I run my barn shop at 45 degrees in the winter and whatever Mother nature dictates in summer. The 45 is really just to make sure stuff in corners never freezes. I also run a BIG Dehumidifier spring, summer, and fall.

The only negative thing is he bought it from another gentleman who bought it new. The first guy seems to have misplaced the 4 jaw Chuck, I’m not even sure how you do that lol. The current owner is in contact with him and he is looking for it, but I’m not hopeful. It’s still not a dealbreaker, because they are readily available and not too crazy expensive but it does make the price seem even higher. he has someone else wanting to take it even without the four jaw because he has one of his own but since he gave me first offer, he’s sticking to a thankfully, but I don’t wanna wait too long.

I'd grab it and start enjoying life with a nice lathe. If you regret it 6 months from now just sell it to the second guy. He will still be looking.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Ahh, the old King ( queen ) Canada 1236 dilemma!
If I had the funds I would most definitely - certainly opt for a precision matthews lathe. But I have yet to win the lotto!

The 4k is reasonable, missing a 4 jaw sucks, About 200 $ give or take. My chuck was very unbalanced, I have a thread some where about it.
My apron and headstock was LOADED with casting sand a debris, I flushed it all and slapped some neodymium magnets in there.

I was fortunate enough to grab mine before the price hike at KMS tools. For what I do and need it serves me well enough. I would like some thing like a 1440 as the bed is wider and thicker, But so is the price lol

I had to do a bit of work on the gear banjo area to make it mesh properly. They simply slap these machines together at the factory.
I installed a 2 axis dro and ( low profile for the cross slide ) and a VFD and 3 phase motor.

Iso 32 for the oil, in the headstock, iso 68 for the apron.

Let us know how it goes and we can advise of things to look and or do when or if you purchase.
gluck!

Proxule

Ultra Member
These go on sale every now and then ( 5$ off )
Grab a couple, and or make your own !?

For the stand, I opted for the hockey puck approach, More or less what our very own forum guru @Everett did.
3 part series.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
12" is a great all around lathe, a guy can do a lot on a 12"

a 3 jaw will do most things, especially in the beginning, there will be a time you will end up buying a 4j for sure, so try to factor that in when your negotiating, try to save yourself some bucks there

in either case i cant see you having any regrets snatching that up

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I agree the PM is likely a better machine/service, but the one down the road is the one to buy.

What spindle is it? D1-3, D1-4 or threaded? this will affect the purchase price of a 4 jaw chuck.

I hope the original owner finds the 4J. Telling that the lathe isn't much used!

Jesus guys, I can’t believe how fast and the amount of replies! Greatly appreciate it. I think I’m gonna go for it. I know we can unload it later for the same price. Proxule, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. visibly it’s in great shape. I don’t think there’s a lot of hours on it but at the same time they’re novice hours, just like I’ll be putting on it so of course you never know. i’ll keep you posted on what happens.