• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Compressor Question

Tom O

Ultra Member
I got it probably 15 or so years ago and was used once in a blue moon.
Check this out it has the two exposed springs.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’d have to look around that was probably 8/10 years ago I bought a larger one same type and swapped it out on a upright tank from princess auto.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I’d have to look around that was probably 8/10 years ago I bought a larger one same type and swapped it out on a upright tank from princess auto.

I'd be interested to know the motor RPM, HP, and pulley size.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What is a tenacious person?

Tenacious is a mostly positive term. If someone calls you tenacious you're probably the kind of person who never gives up and never stops trying – someone who does whatever is required to accomplish a goal.

My wife says I'm tenacious? Goal is 20 gal at 100 psi without tripping a breaker for not more than a $100. I've spent $90 so far:rolleyes:

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well looks like the pressure gauge is reading correctly. I set up with the gauge on the manifold and a valve stem on the tank and checked it with a tire gauge. Still haven't managed to get the cover off the pressure switch. I may have to grind the head off the retaining screw:mad:

UPDATE: Got the pressure switch cover off without resorting to the grinder and this fell out......

PressSW.JPG

This is a little confusing.....Is this saying the differential is fixed at 30.62 lbs?

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
So if you have a pressurized tank and bleed it down what pressure does it kick in at according to that it’s 30#.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So if you have a pressurized tank and bleed it down what pressure does it kick in at according to that it’s 30#.

I turned it down so that it kicked out at 100 psi and then bled some more and it kicked in at approx. 70 psi. I'm wondering if I can make the range 90-100 psi rather than 70-100 psi?

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
70 should be plenty but you have to realize that in use with a 20# difference it will most likely keep running I’d rather have it kick in at 30/40 max.
Hows the breakers doing?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
70 should be plenty but you have to realize that in use with a 20# difference it will most likely keep running I’d rather have it kick in at 30/40 max.
Hows the breakers doing?

Ok, I'll leave it as is at 70. I wired up the switch and plugged her in and she kicked off right on queue at 100 psi so the switch is working fine.

The 220v circuit is holding up fine, no tripped breakers. You'd shake your head if you saw my cordage running to the shed, all cobbled together with 125V plugs... LOL.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well the first thing I’d do would be machine the grooves into the pulley. You could probably figure out the pitch with a thread gauge.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well the first thing I’d do would be machine the grooves into the pulley. You could probably figure out the pitch with a thread gauge.

You really think those grooves are necessary? I figured no grooves were better than messed up grooves. The grooves are about the width of a hacksaw blade and the steel the pulley is made of is horrible stuff to work with, so I didn't even attempt to machine the grooves.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well when you think about it the belt would be riding on the ridges of the belt so you don’t have 100% contact which is probably why you have the belt so tight it should have about 1/4 / 3/8 play I would think not bow tight that would eventually take out the bearings on the motor.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well when you think about it the belt would be riding on the ridges of the belt so you don’t have 100% contact which is probably why you have the belt so tight it should have about 1/4 / 3/8 play I would think not bow tight that would eventually take out the bearings on the motor.

She's twang tight. I didn't intend to make it that tight but that's where she ended up after drilling the motor mount holes on the compressor. Slotting those holes is going to be a problem for me, as well the pressure switch is going to have to be spun 90 deg as part of the motor is going to interfere with it. Hmmm...