• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Composite siding (shed)

slow-poke

Ultra Member
We have a 10x12 wood shed in the backyard. I just replaced the shingles yesterday and now I'm thinking of covering it with composite siding so It no longer needs regular staining.

Looking for any suggestions, tips, source for material (Ottawa).

Vinyl might be a viable alternative but, I'm leaning towards composite. 88FAF43D-732E-4303-AFC8-01F33D91AA15.jpeg

Last edited:

Shoprat

As above says , there are alternatives to hardy now. Just finished a shed at the lake and absolutely luv the result. Just take the time to rent the shear for end cuts. No dust,quick and simple.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I hope it is possible to use a gas spray gun to carbonize the surface at high temperature (idea of fire), and then choose the favorite paint (waterproof), of course, the primary color is the least effort choice (still need to paint waterproof).

What's more, I have to say, this kind of picture is full of temptation to me, I have to experience time and again the envy envy hate ------ (Chinese slang)!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Perhaps I used the wrong term, I was referring to the wood like material that seems to be mostly sawdust / woodchips with baked on paint and fake wood grain. Looks like this. Except I would use the brown color below. We have what looks identical to the green stuff on our cottage and it is holding up really well.
A86FAFAE-5218-43B8-81F4-EF16A4E3F549.jpeg
266E3411-D9B3-4699-8440-25605A14E6BA.jpeg

Last edited:

slow-poke

Ultra Member
What's more, I have to say, this kind of picture is full of temptation to me, I have to experience time and again the envy envy hate ------ (Chinese slang)!
I'm fortunate to have an older brother that has given me a lot of great advice over the years. Some of his advice really stuck. When I was in grade four I recall telling my brother that I was jealous of this kid in my class because he could run faster than me and I was faster than most. He stated that I should ask him why he was such a good runner, he went on to state that it's easy to assume that someone was gifted into something as opposed to working hard to achieve it. So the next day I asked the kid and he told me his dad ran marathons and he would tag along for a mile or two. So for a while after that when my first thought was what a lucky person I would ask and most of the time it was simply that they had worked hard at whatever they were good at. The yard in the picture was nothing but weeds (many as tall as the shed) three years ago, it's been a lot of work and my wife and I did it ourselves.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Perhaps I used the wrong term, I was referring to the wood like material that seems to be mostly sawdust / woodchips with baked on paint and fake wood grain. Looks like this. Except I would use the brown color below. We have what looks identical to the green stuff on our cottage and it is holding up really well.
View attachment 36369
View attachment 36368
Yes those wood composites look nice and are cheaper alternatives to the cement fiber board. If long term durability is of importance I thing cement fiber board will win hands down. The paint finish on either will eventually deteriate and when it does on the wood composite it exposes the wood material to moisture and consequently swelling. I've got a project that I'd like to do with cement fiber board but man is it ever expensive.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Yes those wood composites look nice and are cheaper alternatives to the cement fiber board. If long term durability is of importance I thing cement fiber board will win hands down. The paint finish on either will eventually deteriate and when it does on the wood composite it exposes the wood material to moisture and consequently swelling. I've got a project that I'd like to do with cement fiber board but man is it ever expensive.
The green stuff on the cottage must be approaching 20 years and pretty much looks like new.

Considering the cost and that this is a shed and that I'm in my 60's, if it lasts 30 years, I won't be disappointed if it looks kind of shabby at that point (assuming I'm still around).

Has anyone done a makeover with the wood composite type siding?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Where I've seen the finish deteriate faster than I think it should is in exposure to lots of direct sunlight (southern Alberta) I'm guessing it was about 12 years or so since installation and the finish was heavily cracked and worn and water was causing swelling of the board. I'm sure there is likely a difference in quality among the brands but have no idea which is good or bad.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
This stuff came in 4'x8' sheets and is holding up well, 12 years old now and hasn't changed from new.

View attachment 36378
It came with a gray finish and we painted the green and it has the wood grain texture.
Pretty snazzy shed!

Looks well constructed:
Concrete base
Good size
Big door
Natural light

I'm not sure who built our shed, they used three tab shingles with nothing underneath so the wood under the tab spacing along the bottom edges was exposed. I had to replace the bottom 10" of the OSB roof all the way around before adding a membrane and new shingles.

I think I found the material you used for your shed (4x8') sheets as opposed to 10" planks that were used on our cottage. More affordable and easier to install.