Combo Oak and steel kitchen table

Brent H

Ultra Member
I am building a custom Oak topped kitchen table with an iron leg set that ties into a railing I made for a client several months ago.

The top is 8/4 red oak finished to 1-7/8 thick with a table top measuring 30” x 66”. It will be stained a combination of black and grey and then clear coated a bunch of times.

The top so far:
The start:
62F17131-EC85-462D-AC74-EDC84227424F.jpeg

After planing, edging, (biscuits double row x 6” spacing) glue up and a first sand:

57B7784D-7FD2-46EC-B0B8-124EE95D3BF3.jpeg
The base is made out of 4 legs (3x3x 1/8” tubing) and the stretchers are 1x1x 1/8” square tubing

1B9A385B-09E3-47C1-BDF3-5247A31817C7.jpeg
D948F860-B39F-40E5-B378-31311B7A2E66.jpeg
73C16D12-3F60-41FE-BD13-676D7038DE8C.jpeg
Should be hitting the prime/paint soon. I mig welded the frame all together. I will post some finished pics before delivery.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That's a neat design. In the last picture I thought the legs were crooked but then I saw the window, your camera is toying with my emotion. lol

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 - planned finish is a flat black - like an older metal fence. I will sand things down and remove any imperfections then prime, and put about 4 coats of just a tremclad rust flat black on.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Now that's a table capable of supporting more than just a salad bowl or two :) Sooooooo nice. Love the oak.

(Salad....that's the green stuff that just takes up valuable space in the stomach intended for meat, right?)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
...then prime, and put about 4 coats of just a tremclad rust flat black on.

Its going to look pretty spanky no matter how you finish it but FWIW I noticed some really cool (spray bomb) finishes at the local home depot. They generically call them 'metallic' but some really interesting shades textures & even mottling effects. Might be these or tremclad equivalence, seems like everyone is in the game now.
https://www.rustoleum.ca/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/metallic

My only beef about flat is certain paints show any kind of finger mark or wear or even moderate wiping as some degree of shiny & your eyes pick this out almost immediately. Semi-gloss (and that is a highly variable term among paint suppliers) is kind of a nice compromise, not glossy but visually more wearable over time. Might be worth sacrificing a can to test the end result.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@PeterT - thanks - I will look into that. The top just received its stain coat. The client wants a satin finish - nothing glossy. 428DAD26-4779-416E-A6CF-DC4753314A95.jpeg
I primed the legs and they will get sanded tomorrow and then coated flat.
The project got a bit de-railed when our cloths dryer went for a dump. The drum idler pulley seized on the shaft and the motor pulley broke as did the belt.
E547D85B-C58E-4EBE-9070-5B5F053CC32C.jpeg

so seeing this as an amazing- “ look what I do with all those tools Honey” type time I got a new belt and idler and then made a new fancy pulley for the motor and had Laundry back on track before the end of the day!

045D8005-EB05-46D8-9448-33491AB7D3CB.jpeg
Lucky for me the motor was 3/8-24 thread and I had a chunk of 2” OD aluminium- hopefully better than the cast one. I did not put any flats on the pulley (as the original had) as if it breaks like the original the flats are the first thing to break- LOL

Tom O

Ultra Member
Lucky b our garage furnace gave up the ghost and was replaced with a little more modern one reconditioned though.