Colchester Student - Laygear Removal Help

Ozzie1

Hi - My "new" acquisition is a Colchester Student Mk2. I have discovered a broken tooth & wear on the laygear/s, second shaft.
Not 100% clear on how to extract this shaft, so any advice or photos would be very helpful.
Slotted end cap/retainer will need to come out & I think a couple of grub-screws (?) but is the open-end of the shaft threaded for the socket-head screw that then allows for a slide-hammer to screw in for pulling out the shaft?
Once removed, I will be looking for good replacement used gears - any known sources for these?
With thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• Broken Tooth - Laygear a.jpg
    Broken Tooth - Laygear a.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 16

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
but is the open-end of the shaft threaded for the socket-head screw that then allows for a slide-hammer to screw in for pulling out the shaft?
I don’t have a Student MK2. On my Master 2500, each shaft is threaded on the end for a puller.

Slotted end cap/retainer will need to come out & I think a couple of grub-screws (?)

Again on the Master, the end cap / bearing retainer comes off and then the shaft can be slid. There are a few C clips on mine. Does not look like you have any on the Student.

You may find that sometimes a shaft has to go in the opposite direction a bit to allow for the removal of a gear that is too large to make it through the headstock wall. Hard to tell with your broken gear: it may be part of the shaft and the larger gears on either side are keyed onto the shaft (looks like there are splines to the left of the larger gear in the pic you posted).

Also, it may be necessary to remove the spindle first before you can get any of the other shafts out (the Master is like that).

Ozzie1

Thanks RobinHood. I found the end caps came out easily. The end of what I can see inside is threaded for a puller/slide-hammer. I have now found a new replacement gear, so when it arrives I will get the old gear out. Thanks for taking the time to reply & your advice is appreciated.