Colchester Student, Kingston $200

B Vader

I'm located close by to this lathe. Called to arrange to see it and it has been sold already. Buyer did not even have to see it. The price was as listed so for $200 someone is getting a good deal.

B Vader

Worst case if it wasn't usable, I'm sure he could recover most of the cost with the going rate for scrap metal. I was told that it came out of a manufacturing site and that it all works. She mentioned that if the first person decides not to take it I can have it. I'm not holding out much hope on that lol !

B Vader

As fate should have it, the first person looking at this lathe did not take it. I am picking it up next week. Student Mk1 round head model made in 1955 based on serial number. Was told it came out of a General Mills factory. Has not been run since then. Inch and metric threading, has a 3 jaw chuck and a spare back plate. No tooling. Spindle speeds from 52 to 1000. Covered in dust from sitting. Some surface rust on the handles, carriage, spare backplate and chuck but bed ways had been oiled so no rust there.. Checked for bed wear and could not feel any ridge with my finger. Checked with an indicator mounted on the carriage from tailstock to headstock and only saw .001" of movement at the chuck end. Will need a 3hp motor as the one with it was 5 hp 3 phase and sitting on the floor not mounted but has the original pulley and red mounting plate for the motor. Maybe this motor was from another machine and got mixed up when moving it out, shaft diameter not same as pulley. The chip tray had dark oil in it that leaked from the headstock assembly I assume. Electric control panel was removed but still sitting on the machine. It will need a bit of work to get running but for $200.00 a great deal. 20210804_175623.jpg

Attachments

• 20210804_162656.jpg
    20210804_162656.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210804_162656.jpg
    20210804_162656.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210804_163831.jpg
    20210804_163831.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 19

francist

Super User
“…great deal” may be a bit of an understatement there! Wow, killer deal on a great machine. Hope there’s nothing bad lurking under the covers but from what you’re saying it sounds super.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great find and great that you were second in line, you had the faith, I had written that one off as a too good to be true, but being wrong is something I'm good at. Its gonna be a nice project for you if that's what your plans are.

B Vader

Great find and great that you were second in line, you had the faith, I had written that one off as a too good to be true, but being wrong is something I'm good at. Its gonna be a nice project for you if that's what your plans are.
After telling my wife about my great find she promptly showed me the priority list and the lathe was not at the top lol. This will be a project for when I can get to it. Just couldn't pass this up.

Proxule

Ultra Member
I bought a Leeson 2hp 3 ph motor for 200 bucks here in Edm if your interested - Brand new from factory.
I used one on my 1236 lathe vfd conversion

Nice find, lucky arse!

....Will need a 3hp motor as the one with it was 5 hp 3 phase and sitting on the floor not mounted but has the original pulley and red mounting plate for the motor. Maybe this motor was from another machine and got mixed up when moving it out, shaft diameter not same as pulley. ...l.

Congrats on the great find! I would be interested in the 3 phase motor if its 220V.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Sounds like a wahoooo moment!!! Hey,,,wait,,,, where's my commission???:Dlol
After telling my wife about my great find she promptly showed me the priority list and the lathe was not at the top
Preaching to the choir my friend,,,,, preaching to the choir. lol
You'll have to keep us to speed on the rebuild process.
Congrats on a great score.

B Vader

Sounds like a wahoooo moment!!! Hey,,,wait,,,, where's my commission???:Dlol

Preaching to the choir my friend,,,,, preaching to the choir. lol
You'll have to keep us to speed on the rebuild process.
Congrats on a great score.
Many thanks YotaBota for your original posting of this add!! Would not have been on this with out that. What is the going rate on selling used equipment? 20 or 30%? Lol

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great buy for $200, my bigger Dominion was 3 phase originally then converted to 1 phase by the second owner.

After telling my wife about my great find she promptly showed me the priority list and the lathe was not at the top lol. This will be a project for when I can get to it. Just couldn't pass this up.

Tell her its a new priority to maintain your mental health given the demands of the other priority list! Hope you have a lot of fun with it!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Let her get a dog , wait 12 years and ask who made the better investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk