Colchester Student compound rest original shape

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Does anybody know if the compound rest in this picture, from a Colchester Student, originally had a 45 degree angle as shown, or was this achieved over the course of many years through the use of the chuck jaws? (I kno

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 9.33.56 PM.png w there's some damage, just wondering how much.

Would you consider purchasing said lathe with this kind of damage?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Have a look at This Old Tony. Pretty sure he has a Colchester Student.
That looks like damage to me though.

Upnorth

The word "student" in the name of the lathe should tell you how it got that 45 degree angle.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't have one and don't know. However, I'd put money on the fact that it was built that way.

The T-slot channel for the tool post T-Bolt is also on an angle that is 90 degrees to those angles, and both the top and bottom half of the compound have the same angle. So I'm betting that it was deliberately made with the angle to provide clearance and strength.

The scars are just a testament to the fact that the angle was required.

That damage isn't impressive, but it wouldn't stop me from buying it for the right price.

From the look of it I would speculate that the shop teacher machined it in the the slide to reduce the number of crashes. From the damage or lack of it it doesn't look to serious

Most machinist (even the best) will have a minor encounter (or two) with the lathe chuck in their lifetime. All it takes is a moments distraction.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
it was deliberately made with the angle to provide clearance and strength.
Im not sure if it was made that way or purposely cut at a later date by someone to remove some serious scaring...either way I,d not shy away from buying the machine as the scaring that is left wont make a difference in performance and if there was any significant damage in an original crash it has probably been remedied to also be insignificant in its operation.
The scaring may influence a price point for some folk but to me, a tarnished nickle will buy the same as a brand new shiny one.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Have a look here,

Yup, there is one there with an angled compound. Have a boo at this @Tomc938 !

Screenshot_20231009_112041_Chrome.jpg

Assuming this is how it was made, it would have been easy to add the quick change. Or maybe it came that way. Who knows?

But bottom line is as has already been stated by a few. It certainly wouldn't stop me!

fixerup

Super User
My Colchester Dominion has the angled cut out.
I remember at School we had a Colchester and if the nut on the tool post was tighten hard the top slide was difficult to operate. The rotating dial was hard to turn. A week earlier someone had crashed the compound into the chuck and it develope a small cracked. Enough that the top slide would distort when the tool post nut was tighten hard. If you loosen the tool post nut the dial was easy.
Something you might want to check.

I like my Colchester but I wish it had the metric gearbox. 20230823_213657.jpg