• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CNC Plasma Cutting When You Have No Space

Tmate

While we would all like to have the space in our shop for a 4' x 8' or larger CNC plasma table, exhaust system, etc., many of us do not. Still, we should not deny ourselves such a fabulous, time saving process just because we don't have the ideal location for it.

I solved this problem years ago with a 2' x 2' table I could roll out of my garage in a couple of minutes to cut a shape. Besides eliminating the normal space requirements, this also solves the dilemma of how to deal with plasma dust. Get 8 to 10 feet or so outside and the problem goes away. I was doing prototype work out of my home at that time, and the parts for virtually every bracket I needed could be cut on this small machine. When the business grew and we moved to a commercial facility, the CNC electronics and motors were simply transferred to a larger table.

I'm retired now, and recently built a similar 2' x 2' machine. This one I keep outside under my deck under a vinyl fire pit cover. The compressor and plasma cutter are just inside the basement door, 10 feet away. It takes 5 minutes to hook up the cables and mount the torch. The cover adequately protects the unit from the weather, even in winter.

The first picture shows the initial machine that was on casters and rolled out of my garage. The second is my current machine.

If anyone is interested, I can post photos of some of the parts and shapes cut with this little machine, none of which are for sale.
2x2 casters.jpg 2x2 CNC Plasma.jpg basement door.JPG

Tom O

Ultra Member
Nice little machine I’ve been thinking about Cnc plasma and have the plans for the one Davidr8 made I have some 4 foot rails with ball screws and ones for the z axis as well as stepper motors and drivers. My idea is to have it rotate from vertical to horizontal for use so it would be attached to the end of the workbench the y axis would fold into place and bolted into place.

Tmate

Nice little machine I’ve been thinking about Cnc plasma and have the plans for the one Davidr8 made I have some 4 foot rails with ball screws and ones for the z axis as well as stepper motors and drivers. My idea is to have it rotate from vertical to horizontal for use so it would be attached to the end of the workbench the y axis would fold into place and bolted into place.

Maybe have the workbench be the frame for the plasma table, and set the 2 axis assembly on top when you want to use it. I did this on an early cantilevered machine I built -- see photo. The plasma dust is perhaps the biggest problem with these. A water table collects maybe 70% of it, but creates a mess of its own. The sparks and molten debris are another problem to tackle. Taking the process outside solves most of the problems if you are in a location where neighbors won't complain.

Attachments

• workbench plasma table.jpg
    workbench plasma table.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
My plasma table has a water table, and it actually doesn't make too much of a mess as long as the slatt bed is high enough above the level of water. What's more, is the water is also realy handy for quenching hot metal in other operations.