Clearpath Servo Motor and Accessories $500

Rauce

Ultra Member
Clearpath Model:

CPM-MCVC-N1433A-RLN_Fan​

Runs on 230v single or 3 phase. Max rpm and hp depends on power supply. On single phase it’s 0-2400rpm and 2.5 hp continuous /6.5hp peak. On three phase 0-2700rpm and 4hp continuous/7hp peak

Really just been tested, no significant use. The guy I bought it from was going to use it in an automation application but changing requirements required a more powerful motor.

I’m not using it because it doesn’t seem to play nice with drive systems that have varying mechanical advantage. Maybe there’s a solution but I’ve decided to take the easy way out and go with a AC induction motor.

In addition to the motor (drive is built in) I have the regenerative braking unit and some odds and ends for installation and control like connectors terminal blocks and the din rail circuit breaker specified in the manual.

Just looking to get what I paid for it, $500. Motor and braking shunt retail for $1000 USD. The extras I bought amount to about $150 CAD or so that I’m willing to take a loss on.

Located in Hamilton Ontario, happy to ship.

Attachments

• C226CA6C-A2D3-4826-B511-7EF00F261AB6.jpeg
    C226CA6C-A2D3-4826-B511-7EF00F261AB6.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B17096C5-FE19-4FBD-8C5B-373369A511CA.jpeg
    B17096C5-FE19-4FBD-8C5B-373369A511CA.jpeg
    782.5 KB · Views: 22
  • CF59A188-B1AC-41FD-BD48-5F1B082A4F52.jpeg
    CF59A188-B1AC-41FD-BD48-5F1B082A4F52.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Rauce

Ultra Member
Consider me interested, I need to do a little research first, on hook up with the Acorn.

It can be controlled via 0-10v signal through the analog conversion board that clearpath sells.

It can also be configured for PWM or frequency speed control.

Direction and start/stop are simple circuits that just require a <12v signal.

Maker Mike

Premium Member
Rauce,
I have nearly the same motor and am just about ready to try it out on a milling machine as a spindle. When you say "doesn’t seem to play nice with drive systems that have varying mechanical advantage" what do you mean? Thanks

Rauce

Ultra Member
Rauce,
I have nearly the same motor and am just about ready to try it out on a milling machine as a spindle. When you say "doesn’t seem to play nice with drive systems that have varying mechanical advantage" what do you mean? Thanks
The mill that I tried it on is a Bridgeport clone with a variable speed head and a hi/low back gear. I found that after tuning the motor and running it, if I changed the speed mechanically with either the variable speed selector or the hi/low selector I would get “servo noise”. Sort of a chattering or in some cases a whine from the motor. I re-ran the tuning software with different parameters a few times and tried the fine tuning settings as well without any significant improvement.

Now with the servo the variable speed function of the head isn’t really necessary but I would prefer if the hi/low back gear worked with whatever motor I use since if you only use the motor for all speed changes you will lose power at low rpm.

Maybe there’s a solution to the problem but I couldn’t figure it out so I went back to a 3 phase motor with VFD which has always worked for me on other machines

Rauce

Ultra Member
Did you call Clearpath and ask for assistance?
I was in touch with them yes, other than the fine tuning slider in the software they didn’t have any other advice for me.

I could try following up and pressing the issue but I’d rather just get the machine running with minimal fuss. I got a used 2hp 230v 3ph motor from an industrial surplus place this week and ordered a VFD.

Guess I'm not upgrading based on that info.

While likely doable, its a learning curve I don't want to do at this point and I already have a VFD system.

Currently the effort is going to be to change all lead screws to ballscrews to remove play in the system and allow for faster rapids. Ballscrews have already arrived from China, first axis to be upgraded is the Z, X and Y will be done at the same time.

Maker Mike

Premium Member
Thanks Rauce,
I removed the top half of the split pulley on the spindle and installed a separate toothed pulley. I have only spun it up during the tuning phase and am trying to figure out the arduino coding at this point. I hope I don't have the same unsolvable problem as I spent alot more than 500 on the motor and other equipment. I'll post once it is up an running with any problems I have.