• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cincinnati Cnc lathe update

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well it has been a while since I said anything about the lathe and have finally found a guy out here that came to check out the electrical ( Ericfix.com ) @$160.00 per hr he found the power and electrical to be ok so it seems that reflashing the MMC card should hopefully fix it. I contacted the fives group for a quote and it came back at $2500.00 US so $3300.00 and change ( Can ) to replace the battery and reflash as well as check out the card. I posted it today for a 5 day delivery another $46.00 through CanadaPost. So that’s it till I get it back in about 3 weeks. I also picked up a USB to 232 for file transferring.
https://www.amazon.ca/DNC-DEVICE-Titan/dp/B07B2JQVCR

Brent H

Ultra Member
Wow - holy expense Batman.....replacing a battery on a card is not “typically” difficult and re-flashing is normally a touch to ground. Must be a good compromise??

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’m not sure what to think Mike ( CNC Zone ) who works on this type of machine state side told me the last time he sent one in for a reflash it cost around $500.00 US so maybe it’s Covid prices.

Chipper5783

Some PC batteries are harder to replace than others. Many PC's have a "button" battery - very easily done. For my Bridgeport VMC - which run DOS 6.22 on pentium PC (just a half card board) had a "Texas Time Chip", the battery is imbedded in a chip. There are instructions on-line on where to cut into the chip to access the battery. I wasn't keen on that since the machine ran fine (the clock simply kept starting back at 12:00 on day #1). I ended up getting a much updated 3rd party pentium on a card - plugged right in, fixed a couple of my other minor problems (the new card uses a button battery). The point being, there are some crazy setups that seemed to be designed to require expensive replacement.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hope it works Tom! That will be great to see it working. I claim dibs on the first demo post Covid I guess. I need to get back at my lathe project too....

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Some PC batteries are harder to replace than others. Many PC's have a "button" battery - very easily done. For my Bridgeport VMC - which run DOS 6.22 on pentium PC (just a half card board) had a "Texas Time Chip", the battery is imbedded in a chip. There are instructions on-line on where to cut into the chip to access the battery. I wasn't keen on that since the machine ran fine (the clock simply kept starting back at 12:00 on day #1). I ended up getting a much updated 3rd party pentium on a card - plugged right in, fixed a couple of my other minor problems (the new card uses a button battery). The point being, there are some crazy setups that seemed to be designed to require expensive replacement.

You have a Bridgeport Vmc. That’s a cool machine. Can you post a few pictures? Chipper! Omg.

how fast does it rapid? What do you do for cam? Tool changes?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Unobtainium I suspect. It’d have to be used? Does Cincinnati still sell them?

Tom O

Ultra Member
The battery on this one is about 5/8x5/8x3 with 3.6volts and the wires come out of the bottom 1/4” from the end
This one
3B127AFC-3C1B-40DA-838A-BF7D47CB9D03.jpeg

Tom O

Ultra Member
Unobtainium I suspect. It’d have to be used? Does Cincinnati still sell them?
I have no idea what they have in stock but I would think they would have reconditioned ones. I was going to file a mark in the edge to see if I get the same one back but never did.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Here’s a update the card/battery flash did nothing :rolleyes: no changes at all so now I’m going through the manuals and trying to check out the power supplies I have the schematics but my head slowly turns sideways making a huh sound. On the plus side I picked up some tapping collets from ACT. 1/4 3/8 and 1/2.

kylemp

Here’s a update the card/battery flash did nothing :rolleyes: no changes at all so now I’m going through the manuals and trying to check out the power supplies I have the schematics but my head slowly turns sideways making a huh sound. On the plus side I picked up some tapping collets from ACT. 1/4 3/8 and 1/2.
That sucks Tom, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this is why so many of these things end up being scrap - pretty sad that a 2 dollar battery can magically make a machine worthless, mostly because the companies charge an insane amount for the programming if it gets lost.
What exactly is the issue with it?

Chipper5783

Keep us informed of your progress. I'm really liking my CNC mill (VMC), and I bet a CNC lathe would be pretty cool too. My experience with an older industrial machine has been good, so I'd risk doing it again. Sojour on.

Tom O

Ultra Member
The operator display shows all tests pass but hovers at host control initializing screen which we thought meant it needed to be reflashed there is a voltage difference for 5v that reads 4.8 so I’m looking to adjust that but there is 3 power supplies so I’d like to turn the right one :) the Mia doesn’t show any 24v at all and only the start contactor pulls in it was running but we had a low oil message and shortly after a improper shutdown to the main power switch nothing after that. Like I said I have the schematics but this is me with this level of Cnc.

19084CC9-823D-4BDA-9E5C-7823339480BD.jpeg