• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Check your radiant heaters

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Was grabbing something off a top shelf in the shop this morning under the overhead tube heater and noticed a rusty spot on the bottom of the exhaust vent. Up the ladder and there was a 2 inch hole corroded in the vent allowing exhaust gasses into the shop. It was still venting outside but probably not good to have any of the exhaust end up in a relatively well sealed shop. I replaced the pipe and should be good to go for a while. Couldn't find any specs regarding galvanized, stainless or aluminum so just used the galvanized I had available. The original was aluminum I think.
 
Gas-Fired heaters create water vapor as a product of combusyion, so can can issues like this: hot steel + water = Rust
For sure but I'm wondering is this is more of an acidic type of exhaust. The part I thought was rusted is non magnetic so I'm assuming non ferrous.
 
Acid seems likely. Carbon and Sulfur from the combustion process dissolved in condensed water vapor from the same process.

Common when there is a lot of condensation - i.e. cold pipe / horizontal run.
 
I'm an aircraft mechanic so I have seen a lot of corroded aluminum over the years. Under certain conditions it can corrode fast. I have seen holes in planes and fittings corroded away to nothing. Exhaust gas would be corrosive. You should see what mercury can do to aluminum. It's also susceptible to dissimilar metal corrosion. 2 incompatible metals and some electrolyte (like seawater) and you have a little battery that eats away the metal. In some fittings on old WW2 planes you can see where it eats away at the grain of the metal.
 
Back
Top