Cheap LED Shop lights

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
https://www.amazon.ca/Barrina-Integ...0c2-88a7-2f7b5ace49d2&pd_rd_i=B07DNPL2VC&th=1

With the $18 off coupon this comes out to about $8.5 per 4' strip. Pretty cheap for the light they provide. I have 14 in the garage now, just installed 6 in the basement on the wife's yarn side, and ordered 8 more. The 8 pack seems to be the cheapest per strip option, and the $18 off coupon only works once per order. But will renew for another order like I just placed.

Just passing it on, in hopes of illuminating more workshops. I love them. Super easy to install, and throw of a ton of light.

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Does the $18 off coupon show up for you (anybody else?) Just wondering if it's an amazon thing, or tailored to my account. Still don't know how Amazon works lol.

MrWhoopee

I got the 5000 lumen version of these lights 3 years ago and replaced all of the fluorescent shop lights in my garage.

The difference was shocking! They were almost too bright. They also don't care how cold it is, something that was frequently a problem with the fluorescents. They were very easy to install with the provided clips and the wiring options simplified that aspect. Still trying to find someone who wants the old shop lights.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have (had) about 20, be aware they fail over time. About 40% failure rate after a year or two. They are easy to daisy chain and swap out.

They do brighten up a shop quite well.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have (had) about 20, be aware they fail over time. About 40% failure rate after a year or two. They are easy to daisy chain and swap out.

They do brighten up a shop quite well.

Thanks, I was kinda curious as to the failure rate and lifespan. I have 20 now, and another 8 on the way. The ones in the garage are about 6-7 months old, so I'm curious how much longer they'll last, and what the failure mode is as they're all daisy chained in 3 circuits. I know nothing lasts forever but hoping to get 2-3 years out of them before they really start falling off. Might be an ambitious goal.....

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I went to my local lighting store - I spent more than that per bulb and no failures so far. The system was a bulb for bulb replacement using the existing fixtures. I also had to rewire and remove the ballasts, and replace the tombstones (bulb socket holder things). It was a chore but an amazing upgrade made the shop much more pleasant. I still have task lighting so in a way I wish I had installed even more bulbs. This was a number of years ago now - no failures to date. I think it was about $300-400 all in for about 16 bulbs. https://ecolighting.ca/ for those in the Calgary area - maybe they ship?

A quality LED should last 20,000 hours. 250 days * 8 hours is 2000 hours a year - ten year life and I don't have the lights on that much.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow that's cheap I had others that were similar to that and while I have not had any fail outright they have definitely gotten dimmer with time (just like me). I suggest installing quite a bit more than you think is necessary to begin with. I added a couple of times but did not plan the layout initially very well for that. If you have a newish shop with clean walls they will darken with time and considerably impact the reflected light...plan for that too. I also eventually had lots of sh!t hanging from my ceilings that reduced light also. That low cost of those leds make it easier to avoid those problems.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
About 40% failure rate after a year or two.
First thing I look at when examining any Amazon product is the 1 & 2 star reviews. Nearly every one on this product notes they die off in a rather short period of time & there is no customer service available, despite the seller stating a 3 year warranty. That's one reason why I'm often hesitant to shop Amazon.

I bought all my LED lights from PA, they cost a bit more but if they die off in a short period of time, I can take 'em back for warranty. I always wait until they're on sale & have never paid more than about $28, sometimes as low as $20, for a 4', 5000 lumen fixture.

While my shop lights don't see even daily use, the first fixtures I bought 4 years ago are going strong. As noted in a couple of the Amazon reviews, however, it has FUBAR'd my overhead door opener reception. While inside I can usually get it to open/close w/ just one click on the remote, from the outside it's near impossible to get it to work. If I leave to hit the hardware store or pick up another 6-pack, I need to turn the lights off before I head out.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
First thing I look at when examining any Amazon product is the 1 & 2 star reviews. Nearly every one on this product notes they die off in a rather short period of time & there is no customer service available, despite the seller stating a 3 year warranty. That's one reason why I'm often hesitant to shop Amazon.

I bought all my LED lights from PA, they cost a bit more but if they die off in a short period of time, I can take 'em back for warranty. I always wait until they're on sale & have never paid more than about $28, sometimes as low as $20, for a 4', 5000 lumen fixture.

While my shop lights don't see even daily use, the first fixtures I bought 4 years ago are going strong. As noted in a couple of the Amazon reviews, however, it has FUBAR'd my overhead door opener reception. While inside I can usually get it to open/close w/ just one click on the remote, from the outside it's near impossible to get it to work. If I leave to hit the hardware store or pick up another 6-pack, I need to turn the lights off before I head out.
In the electronic commercialization world there are laws and standards about safety and radiated and conducted emissions. Unfortunately most of the low cost crap on Amazon would have no chance of meeting any of these standards. If it did your remote would work fine. Ironically if you or I were to develop a product here we are obliged by law to meet all these standards at significant expense.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
In the electronic commercialization world there are laws and standards about safety and radiated and conducted emissions. Unfortunately most of the low cost crap on Amazon would have no chance of meeting any of these standards. If it did your remote would work fine. Ironically if you or I were to develop a product here we are obliged by law to meet all these standards at significant expense.
Those products Amazon sells then don't meet Canadian requirements (or US, or Euro, or probably even China). Where the hell is the regulator? Enforce the regulations we have. I think some $100K fines and amazon would smarten up.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve had these for 3+ years and had one stop working. Turned out it was a loose connection.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
$575B? that is shocking. I suppose I was thinking $100K for every product discovered to be against the rules. A few thousand of those might get their attention. this is verging on forum taboo topics. and my fault. I'll shut up now.