• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cheap and easy light for the mill

Gosh how things change with cheap stuff from China. I had to make my own. Friction fit on the quill. In hindsight should have been much larger diameter. Notice the shadow which makes lighting the spot where something in the 1/4" drill chuck or R8 collet sits impossible.
LampStuff2.webp
LEDLightTrial2.webp
Shadow1.webp

As a result I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Gosh how things change with cheap stuff from China. I had to make my own. Friction fit on the quill. In hindsight should have been much larger diameter. Notice the shadow which makes lighting the spot where something in the 1/4" drill chuck or R8 collet sits impossible.
View attachment 51044
View attachment 51045
View attachment 51043

As a result I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.
That’s why I “retired” my ring light. I’ve posted photos of what I currently use (I just need to find them).

EDIT: my current light (started using 2 years ago) is similar to @Susquatch ‘s

IMG_7984.webp
Permanently mounted to the mill column. I also have a magnetic “Sewing Machine Light” seen on the right of the column.

Last edited:
You guys are making me glad I never made or bought a ring light. I use an adjustable magnet base light mounted on the mill bed. Not perfect but has met my needs to date.

20240826_195204.webp

My original light that came with the mill had rusted out internally and no longer worked. Ultimately I made some metal parts and installed an LED household lamp. It's been great ever since.

LEDWorkLight.webp

Back