Cheap 12mm carbide EMs for under 10CAD with free shipping

Pretty colours.....

On a serious note the coating is not the best for those working with Aluminium. For the price useable, but there are better options.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Pretty colours.....

On a serious note the coating is not the best for those working with Aluminium. For the price useable, but there are better options.

Oh should have noted this is for working in steel. They are 4 flute and for AL usually people use 2F and no coating. I work almost always in steel so I forget that there are other metals out there ;)

I started with 2 flute years ago, not impressed. I've used 4 flute uncoated in Aluminium very successfully, I now have a 3 flute coated designed specifically Aluminium. These have a slightly offset geometry to reduce vibration.

Biggest issue is RPM (not enough) on mills (routers have higher RPM's) and the second is flood cooling. This does two things, cooling of Endmill to prevent stiction of Aluminium scarf in aggressive cuts, flush out chips.

I originally got pushed towards higher flute counts as it allowed me to be more aggressive in cuts and still get a better finish a I went towards Carbide and pushed the limits of my machines.

Old School Methodology while good for the Old School Machining has been stood on its head with Modern Tooling, Equipment and Methods.

All I can suggest its time to start experimenting to see what can actually work better and more economically for you.

Little side deviation that requires a separate post.

COATINGS

Uncoated cutters are Sharper, no and's, if's or but's about it, but loose the edge faster. Best for softer materials or where finish is the ultimate of importance.

Coated cutters are Duller, no way around it, during coating the side effect is rounding of the edge, but they last way longer. Increased hardness and wear resistance with a touch of sacrifice on cutting finish.

Trade off becomes, sharpness vs life vs finish and which has to most importance in your application.

Coatings come in different flavours, as long as none of the ingredients match what you are cutting, no issues.

Here is a list from one manufacture of the different ones (note there are more).

Upnorth

I was given the advise that it's best to use a 3 flute cutter for aluminum on a mill like mine not a 2 flute. This makes up for the relatively low RPM of a hobby mill. Mine maxes out at 6000 rpm.

I run a 3 flute variable geometry type with flood cooling. I run so much coolant it's difficult to see what the endmill is doing. Works great for clearing chips.

I should point out that it's a CNC mill.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks for that link. How did you get free shipping? For the 12mmx75L @$9.47- the only 12mm I could find under $10 - the shipping is a couple of dollars. The listing says" free shipping for orders over $13.89", but ordering two of the same EMs boosts the shipping charge to $8 (not free). Still a pretty good deal, though. :) SHAZAM.JPG

I was given the advise that it's best to use a 3 flute cutter for aluminum on a mill like mine not a 2 flute. This makes up for the relatively low RPM of a hobby mill. Mine maxes out at 6000 rpm.

I run a 3 flute variable geometry type with flood cooling. I run so much coolant it's difficult to see what the endmill is doing. Works great for clearing chips.

I should point out that it's a CNC mill.
My mill is a converted small knee mill to cnc which maxes out about 3500 rpm. My understanding is oroper designed 3fl for Al has a slightly different geometery. Higher RPM machines can use more flutes. Ionic flood cooling is the way to go, rise and you are good to go.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Thanks for that link. How did you get free shipping? For the 12mmx75L @$9.47- the only 12mm I could find under $10 - the shipping is a couple of dollars. The listing says" free shipping for orders over $13.89", but ordering two of the same EMs boosts the shipping charge to $8 (not free). Still a pretty good deal, though. :)View attachment 41389

I added two. At this price - lowest I ever seen - I took a chance this is not junk. After all it has almost 600 reviews so for $20 I took a risk.
I got free shipping with two... I added one to the cart and then another one by changing quantity in cart and got free shipping. It even told me I saved the 8.02.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I added one to the cart and then another one by changing quantity in cart and got free shipping. It even told me I saved the 8.02.
That worked for me, too. That's a good tactic - change the quantity in the cart, not on the product page. I'll have to remember that !