• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cellphone service advice

darrin1200

Darrin
I‘m currently with Roger’s, have been for years, but they are just to expensive for what I need.

After looking around, the best basic service price, is with Freedom Mobile.
Does anyone have any experience with this company, good or bad?

Excellent coverage, fair pricing and if you travel outside Canada their $20 or $30 add-ons (with 1 or 5gb of roaming data resp.) covers 92 countries with unlimited calling locally and back to Canada.
Seamless transition from Canada to destination, and between coutries. Recently used in north and south of Ireland.

We are on the $30 plan (now $35 I think) but with auto billing the price comes down. We have 1.2gb of data each, seldom come even close to using it. Mostly Google maps and Spotify when driving.

I switched from Rogers to Freedom IIRC about 10 years ago.

Half the price and works almost as well 9/10, they don't exaggerate your usage like Rogers does. Was definitely worth the move for me.

Koodo completely sucks! Expensive and non existent service. Good luck getting someone on the phone with them 0/10

Excellent coverage, fair pricing and if you travel outside Canada their $20 or $30 add-ons (with 1 or 5gb of roaming data resp.) covers 92 countries with unlimited calling locally and back to Canada.
Seamless transition from Canada to destination, and between coutries. Recently used in north and south of Ireland.

We are on the $30 plan (now $35 I think) but with auto billing the price comes down. We have 1.2gb of data each, seldom come even close to using it. Mostly Google maps and Spotify when driving.

For $30, they are offering unlimited Can/US talk and text (that includes travel to US) and 10Gb data. $35 plan gets it up to 50Gb.

Yeah but Freedom mobile used to be with Shaw for FREE. Then they switched once they got bought out by Rogers. Freedom mobile does not have good range at all - i.e. you are on rather crap network this is WHY it was FREE.

I switched few weeks ago to Virgin which is on Bell network - so similar to Rogers.

45 includes new phone (google pixel) valued at $700 or so. 60 Gb data, unlimited calling and unlimited texts with US. 2 year contract. I am unsure about US calling could be included as well since its Virgin. Oh and you get net gain $90 card for BestBuy.

I dumped Koodo - may dump it for the other line as well.

Excluding the phone the service is ... $15 per month... cannot beat that!

whenever I travel out of the GTA my freedom mobile coverage sucks, basically useless.

but I pay $35 bucks for
Unlimited Data
Unlimited Canada/U.S. Texting
Unlimited Canada-wide Calling
Unlimited Canada/US-wide Picture/Video Messaging
Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text

On the other hand I dont call anyone really and seldom use the data and only have the service to maintain my phone number. The service never works in an emergency such as storms, wide spread power failures etc. I've kept thinking I need to revert to an actual land line but I'm not sure that I even have land line distribution within my townhouse.

whenever I travel out of the GTA my freedom mobile coverage sucks, basically useless.

but I pay $35 bucks for
Unlimited Data
Unlimited Canada/U.S. Texting
Unlimited Canada-wide Calling
Unlimited Canada/US-wide Picture/Video Messaging
Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text

On the other hand I dont call anyone really and seldom use the data and only have the service to maintain my phone number. The service never works in an emergency such as storms, wide spread power failures etc. I've kept thinking I need to revert to an actual land line but I'm not sure that I even have land line distribution within my townhouse.

switch to Virgin - for $10 more you get a free phone and superior Bell coverage. I did not want freedom for free as its coverage in AB is a joke.

We are on a cell plan with Roger called Simply Connect, at $20 flat rate per month. However we are being told that this co. will cease to exist in December and we have to join Redwire at $10, because they are switching us to 5G
I don't use any PhunnyPhone stuff, text and talk only, so it works for me.

Back