• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Casting exchange

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I am looking for a project to cast and machine, but I don’t have a working printer, was hoping to be doing a steam engine but if you have something else useful for the shop in mind or a line on some machinable project patterns available in thingyverse or what have you, I would be interested in casting one for myself to try in exchange. Or any patterns y’all have already made and no longer need or already used I would love to get practice.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have my dad’s patterns for a steam engine there are two cylinders of different sizes that could be used separately but are meant to be used combined for a compound engine.
I’d have to measure but I belive one is 1 1/2” and the other one about 2 - 2 1/2”

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I have my dad’s patterns for a steam engine there are two cylinders of different sizes that could be used separately but are meant to be used combined for a compound engine.
I’d have to measure but I belive one is 1 1/2” and the other one about 2 - 2 1/2”
Sounds like fun, any plans for that?

Tom O

Ultra Member
The plan is to get it finished and up and running I’ll post some pics of what I have when I get back home from coffee.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Here are the cylinder patterns one bore is 1 1/2" and the other is 3" both castings can be bolted together.

IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG

These are the core patterns for the cylinders and steam passages.

IMG_0418.JPG

The supports
IMG_0421.JPG

No clue what this is for!

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

Castings bolted together
IMG_0424.JPG

Cast brass covers and valve
IMG_0425.JPG

Tom O

Ultra Member
No he had them cast I believe in Victoria or Vancouver. Last time I was in Victoria I stopped by a foundry that's about 4 blocks from Capital Iron on the otherside of Douglas if that makes sense! if I get out there this year I'll check it out more.
I'd like to give it a go though

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm a little confused here .... as per usual.

You have a two cylindered steam engine with two different cylinder dimensions?

Tom O

Ultra Member
It's a marine compound engine steam enters the smaller cylinder and the exhausting steam is piped to the larger cylinder that's powered by the expansion of the steam each cylinder is also powered on the up and down stroke.