• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Casting aluminum

Garyt

Is there anyone in the Calgary area that is casting aluminum? On our restoration project we are missing a cast aluminum part it is a very simple shape but a big job to carve out of solid.
Gary T

This sorted yet?

If not, I'm wondering if you have got a foundry pattern prepared. I'm way out in Ontario, definitely not near Calgary as requested, but whoever ends up with this job will need to know.

I checked the member map we have on another forum where I mod (thehomefoundry.org), but unfortunately the only 2 pins I see in Alberta haven't been seen on the site in years.

Good luck,

Jeff

This sorted yet?

If not, I'm wondering if you have got a foundry pattern prepared. I'm way out in Ontario, definitely not near Calgary as requested, but whoever ends up with this job will need to know.

I checked the member map we have on another forum where I mod (thehomefoundry.org), but unfortunately the only 2 pins I see in Alberta haven't been seen on the site in years.

Good luck,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff I do have it in the works.

I'm curious what it looks like too. Also wasn't sure if "in the works" meant yes he has found a foundry or yes he has a pattern ready. :)

Jeff

I can help you out with CAD model but it would have to be someone else to 3D print a casting pattern if that's a preferred path.

I can help you out with CAD model but it would have to be someone else to 3D print a casting pattern if that's a preferred path.
Thanks for the offer. The part is a left and right hand and someone stole one of the parts so we have the other hand as a pattern.

Thanks for the offer. The part is a left and right hand and someone stole one of the parts so we have the other hand as a pattern.

The simplest and quickest method will be to use the existing casting as a pattern. If that fails then we’ll have to make a pattern. it’s simple enough that the old fashioned way of making a wood pattern by hand might be the answer. On the other hand a 3D model can be mirrored to give @Garyt his right and left handed parts.

Back