Cast Pulley Repair

fixerup

Super User
Estimating the size of the part from the picture, and considering the exposed grain and other machining marks, I think you really have to braze it back together or turn it off and replace the flange. The other solutions seem fragile and I would not attempt to tap that metal

Alternately, you could just not use that part of the pully. Adjusting the feed rate can accommodate reduced control of the spindle rate
It would interesting to know what speed was lost and see what the next speed available , there might not be much of a difference and the feed would certainly fix it. The pulley can be used has is, no arm done. It will leave all the other repair option open, if you ever wanted back the missing speed.
not screwing you out of the next plan

:rolleyes:
Turning the broken end off the pulley on the lathe, you would then be able to move the pulley down the shaft and get an extra 3 speed.
But I like better option A leave it alone.

Last edited:

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What kind of drillpress is it?
It’s a Taiwan clone of something. Branded “Gorilla”. I can’t get good pictures as it’s down in a corner. Here’s a bad picture of the name plate. 453E947A-308B-4E2D-8DA5-7E2DEE5C76FB.jpeg
Since the small pulley is on the motor end, I would assume I would loose the 60. And now that I look at the picture I see it says Westward on the bottom. Never noticed that before. Go figure.

fixerup

Super User
That wavy symbol after the number would indicate 60 hertz. The alternating current ( A C )
120 volts / 60hz
Therefore 560 rpm would be missing and 950 rpm would be your lowest speed. That might be a bit to fast for large drill size.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That wavy symbol after the number would indicate 60 hertz. The alternating current ( A C )
120 volts / 60hz
Therefore 560 rpm would be missing and 950 rpm would be your lowest speed. That might be a bit to fast for large drill size.
Of course. That makes more sense than the large jump on the last two speeds. For larger bits I could always use the mill.

terry_g

Ultra Member
Its made or sold by Westward. They sold made in Japan hand tools as well which were actually decent quality for the price. I don't know if their still around.