CA-ON Canadian/Ontario/GTA Surplus electronics source?

Ontario
Type
Supplies

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
A store full of surplus automation control cabinets, buttons, switches, motors and contactors, din rail etc. Does such a unicorn exist in Canada/gta?

I have a few winter projects I'd like to start accumulating parts for now. I can always buy new, but I'm just curious if such a business exists that might save me some money where I can also find a bunch of stuff I didn't know I needed. I see the odd stuff come up on marketplace/kijiji, but it's hit or miss.

Thanks, Dan.

kstrauss

Maybe

Electronic Surplus Industries​

53 Sheffield St, North York, ON M6M 3E5
I haven't been there recently but they had warehouse full of poorly arranged goodies pre-COVID.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Nothing exactly what you are after, some are close, my comments.....

Toronto Surplus (www.torontosurplus.com). He's a really nice guy if can get there in person but hard to connect with. Massive inventory of test equipment, prices are 10x what the go for on ebay. His business is selling to some university/business lab that needs an exact replacement for some piece and gladly pays 10x the price to transaction with a professional business and get a warranty. He does have an area with lots of control electronics and imo is the best bet.....the challenge is getting to him, doesn't make himself super available.

Sheffield is a bit of junk store, but has lots of stuff. Definitely slumming it from Mike @TS above ( I think thats his name). Pricing is not marked so you have to ask, and he uses the Heisenberg pricing model - showing interest in an item may change the price of the item.

A-1 Electronic Parts, bottom of the 427. Bit of junk store but lots of electronics stuff. New electronic components. Unlikely to have what you are after, but lots of used electrical stuff.

Kitchner - there's (or was) an electric motor repair shop who has a ton of stuff. He had a separate warehouse with transformers. I walked out of there with every to build a RPC and step up to 600....including transformer, box, motor, contactors, caps, etc. It was a long time ago and I can't remember which one (Possibly Dynamo?) but....if I was on a mission I'd start calling electric motor shops there asking if they can help you with used ______.

There are few vendors of used transformers that come up on a search...long shot but maybe worthy calling

Sayal is new electronics parts, some might be surplus, but your not going to find used power and control stuff there.

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nothing exactly what you are after, some are close, my comments.....

Toronto Surplus (www.torontosurplus.com). He's a really nice guy if can get there in person but hard to connect with. Massive inventory of test equipment, prices are 10x what the go for on ebay. His business is selling to some university/business lab that needs an exact replacement for some piece and gladly pays 10x the price to transaction with a professional business and get a warranty. He does have an area with lots of control electronics and imo is the best bet.....the challenge is getting to him, doesn't make himself super available.

Sheffield is a bit of junk store, but has lots of stuff. Definitely slumming it from Mike @TS above ( I think thats his name). Pricing is not marked so you have to ask, and he uses the Heisenberg pricing model - showing interest in an item may change the price of the item.

A-1 Electronic Parts, bottom of the 427. Bit of junk store but lots of electronics stuff. New electronic components. Unlikely to have what you are after, but lots of used electrical stuff.

Kitchner - there's (or was) an electric motor repair shop who has a ton of stuff. He had a separate warehouse with transformers. I walked out of there with every to build a RPC and step up to 600....including transformer, box, motor, contactors, caps, etc. It was a long time ago and I can't remember which one (Possibly Dynamo?) but....if I was on a mission I'd start calling electric motor shops there asking if they can help you with used ______.

There are few vendors of used transformers that come up on a search...long shot but maybe worthy calling

Sayal is new electronics parts, some might be surplus, but your not going to find used power and control stuff there.
Thanks. I've found A-1 in a search before but not the others. An RPC is among my unfinished projects that I'd be shopping for, so motor shops are a great idea.

By Sheffield do you mean this one? https://www.geocities.ws/sidlip53/store.htm

Sounds like I have a few destinations for a roadtrip into the city some friday.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Warning! Hamilton, Milton, Oshawa, and Newmarket are all cities. But Toronto is not a city. It is a Megalopolis that will suck your brains out just by driving through it. . ..

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Warning! Hamilton, Milton, Oshawa, and Newmarket are all cities. But Toronto is not a city. It is a Megalopolis that will suck your brains out just by driving through it. . ..
I lived in the GTA for toooooo long. IMHO, best view of GTA is in your rear view mirror.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I lived downtown for almost 4 years....I plan my trips into the beast wisely now, but travel around it mostly now. The only thing I really miss is the worldly food selections.

Wife took the kids and her Nephew to the ROM today. I went golfing instead.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Thanks. I've found A-1 in a search before but not the others. An RPC is among my unfinished projects that I'd be shopping for, so motor shops are a great idea.

By Sheffield do you mean this one? https://www.geocities.ws/sidlip53/store.htm

Sounds like I have a few destinations for a roadtrip into the city some friday.

Yes, its on Sheffield. I wish I could remember the name in Kitchener, he had everything and even took the time to draw a schematic.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Update, the worst drivers from Toronto moved into those cities, so.........good luck:oops:

Who said I was talking about bad drivers? They are just a symptom of the real problem. I was mostly talking about the brain sucking biosphere there.

:eek: