Canadian Connection

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Hear me out here as my thoughts sometimes go astray as usual . The Toronto get together is April 6th or so . I have a few people interested in some tools . Dabbler will be on the east coast . I will be in New York close to the border . Can the stars align ?

I have tons of Starrett things here that sound interesting to some of your locals . Dabbler is interested in some Kennedy boxes . I'm interested in attending this get together and meeting some new friends .

I can haul stuff up that week , come into Toronto , have dinner with the in laws , attend the meeting and spend a few nights while there . I do NOT want to cross the border with tools , not knowing what costs are involved . One of your members specifically likes Starrett tooling which I have many here . I dont know about others in the area but if I brought up a bunch would/could you spread it out within your group . I'll have to ask John if he would be able to haul the Kennedys back to Calgary . Lots here to think about and plan . When I ship to Toronto or Calgary it is frikkin expensive , so trying to save costs .

Chime in when you guys can . I'll have to bust my arse to make this happen , but what the hay ! :)

kstrauss

I'm potentially interested in Starrett or most anything else that I can afford. Perhaps post a list with suggested prices and we can go from there. BTW, I also plan to bring toys to the meetup for relocation to other hobbyists so a general swap table should be good for many of us.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I do NOT want to cross the border with tools , not knowing what costs are involved

Your intentions are admirable but Ya, don't do that. You might get 5 minutes of fame on a certain TV show, but the 'cost' would be measured in many more uncomfortable ways.

1709484419585.png

gerritv

Gerrit
Just declare the stuff as used with some reasonable low value. If you have to pay the 13% GST then pass that on to the folks buying your stuff. Skirting around that with shipping is expensive, and they will likely still have to pay the 13% anyway.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
*or in Alberta, 5%*

You are absolutely right. You exchange an emailed bill of sale and bring it with you.

At the border it is declared as 'these will be staying in Canada' and you pay the GST/PST by credit card. No problem if you are on the up-and-up.

No fake super low values either. Just an honest 'general market' value.

I bought 2 Kennedy boxes (Model 520) for 40$ each. But I would declare them at 100$
My 52611 was purchased new on discount at $175, but I would declare 225$ on a used one.

If you have a 310X, it would have to be declared at about 400$, even if it has rust on it (unless there are broken drawers)

The MC28 would have to have a declared value of about 100$ if obviously used.

So about 500$ declared value, or about 75$ import fees. That is fine.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hello @mmcmdl
I’m glad you are considering a 10 hour trip to attend our meetup. We now estimate there will be 15+ in attendance. Meetups are a great opportunity for members to meet face to face and enhance relationships that previously were only online.
This meetup has three distinctive things that has generated a lot of attention and increased attendance projections:
1. Modern Tool, as our host, will be demonstrating several machines in their 5,000 sq ft facility.
2. Attendees will be allowed to operate these machines. We’ll be pulling levers and making chips! (Modern’s technician will be standing beside the e-stop for everyone’s safety.)
3. They have 6 used, good condition, lathes for sale (14” and 16” swing). These Standard Modern Utilathes were recently acquired from an Ontario college. They plan to have one of them as a demo machine.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
To all attendees: Please keep in mind that our meetup is at a place of business. Modern Tool Inc is allowing us to have a friendly swap meet as part of the meetup. They would not appreciate a member coming to the meetup with a trunk load of machining accessories or equipment to sell at the swap meet. On the other hand we have specifically asked if it would be ok for members to bring a few used items such as used tool boxes and other used tools to trade with each other and they were ok with that.

However, Modern Tool is an established Accusize distributor. Starrett and Accusize are competitors for many items. If a few used Starrett, Mitutoyo, Accusize, or similar items are traded at the swap meet, then no big deal. But please don’t show up with a trunk load of like new condition items that Modern Tool normally sells - that’s a different thing. Similarly, if you have a lathe or mill to sell - please don’t bring it to the meetup. :)
Thank you.