• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Calgary

Bradells

(BRad)
Found this site through a recommendation on hobby machinist.

Starting to get back into fun metalwork after not really doing much for the past umpteen years with all this free time I've been having with Covid.

Nothing fancy, just a small Sherline 4400 lathe and milling column. Usually make single one off parts (haven't had the joys of working on a project with multiple parts ... yet, have some plans for the near future)

Eventually looking for a larger and sturdier dedicated milling machine, as well as a larger capacity lathe. Both 'bench top' size (<20A 120V & <200lbs or so) as I still don't have a garage with power at the moment. I really like the accuracy and build of the Sherline, but it is a little on the small side (cut capacity, and sometimes work capacity).

Also on the lookout for good Canadian suppliers, rather than having to pay customs and duty a few times for tooling/equipment/etc with our Peso...

Thanks!

Brad

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Welcome aboard. I'm more on the fabricating side of the hobby, so will let the others comment on machine choices. Thinking back 30 years ago for me, I remember planning the shop I wanted was half the fun.