• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Calgary over here

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi from calgary, 16 year experienced welder with some small training in machine work during highschool (winnipeg), college, and a very small amount through the workplace.

Toying around with the idea of getting a mill and lathe as i always enjoyed running them and could make some use of custom parts for my own projects...and im sure i could find other things to build ;)
That brings me to the next stage......being blown away at how expensive the import machines have gotten in the last few years and looking to the used market....wich lands me here, local-ish forums are always the best place to look for used gear, and im sure it wont take long for me to get well beyond the basic skills i learned so many years ago

bringing up another point, where are the calgary people buying material....i did a quick look through some old posts and it seems like a lot of guys are hitting metal supermarket....there has to be somewhere better for brass and 1018

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@phaxtris Welcome!

I am a big believer in the used market for value and variety. People here can help you evaluate the pros and cons of the brand/type, and even help you evaluate a specific lathe if you need it.

Crosche

Super User
Welcome to the forum from NW Calgary.

There is a new metal supply store on 41st Ave NE just West of Edmonton Trail. I believe the name is Calgary Metals. Not a ton of selection, but his prices seem to be reasonable.

Cheers,

Chad

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi from calgary, 16 year experienced welder with some small training in machine work during highschool (winnipeg), college, and a very small amount through the workplace.

Toying around with the idea of getting a mill and lathe as i always enjoyed running them and could make some use of custom parts for my own projects...and im sure i could find other things to build ;)
That brings me to the next stage......being blown away at how expensive the import machines have gotten in the last few years and looking to the used market....wich lands me here, local-ish forums are always the best place to look for used gear, and im sure it wont take long for me to get well beyond the basic skills i learned so many years ago

bringing up another point, where are the calgary people buying material....i did a quick look through some old posts and it seems like a lot of guys are hitting metal supermarket....there has to be somewhere better for brass and 1018
What's sort of brass stock are you looking for?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
What's sort of brass stock are you looking for?

nothing in particular at the moment, i am just thinking ahead for general stock, i got one quote back from ryerson for full lengths of 6061 and 1018 in various sizes, but no brass, not enough volume for them to ship it up from the states, i would probabaly need a 5000lb order to be worth it for them,and to top it off i didnt work out the exact price per lb, but it wasnt great

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
nothing in particular at the moment, i am just thinking ahead for general stock, i got one quote back from ryerson for full lengths of 6061 and 1018 in various sizes, but no brass, not enough volume for them to ship it up from the states, i would probabaly need a 5000lb order to be worth it for them,and to top it off i didnt work out the exact price per lb, but it wasnt great
The reason I ask I bought some 2" round and could sell some. I also have some small 3/8" square aluminum and some rectangular aluminum , I think 1/2" x 3/8".

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
FYI Aluminum is on sale at Princess Auto now. Their regular price is high but I think it is at 40% off now.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
FYI Aluminum is on sale at Princess Auto now. Their regular price is high but I think it is at 40% off now.

oh man even 40% off is to much, federal carrys aluminum at normal-ish prices

The reason I ask I bought some 2" round and could sell some. I also have some small 3/8" square aluminum and some rectangular aluminum , I think 1/2" x 3/8".

i dont have any use for it at the moment, i was actually hoping that ryerson or someone would bring in or stock full legnths at a reasonable price, it wouldnt be a problem for me to buy full lengths of common sizes and sell it at very close to cost, saving myself and others from getting gouged at the various other retailers. As most of the small scale suppliers deal in standard structural steel i dont feel i would be stepping on anyones toes (im not worried about msm, those guys pay for a whole days wages with 1 length of hss)

BMW Rider

Super User

Back when the Calgary North store was moving they were clearing everything out at the old location, I got a length of the 1" aluminum round bar. I've used a little of it, but it is really soft and gummy stuff and does not machine very nicely.