Calgary (or Canadian) Source for Metric Broachs and Broach Bushings?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've got an odd sized drive hub I need. I'm looking at options. I've got a machine shop quote but it is pretty high. I'd rather buy the broach bushing, broach and shims to make myself, but it's hard to find what I am looking for locally. It's a 17mm bore with a 5mm keyway, and I need the hub shaft hole about 2.3" (pic attached).

Does anyone know a local broach supplier I can talk to and buy from? A lot of the online ones I've found are either in sets only or won't ship here. Grainger says they have them, but they say this about everything and never follow up or ship. I'm waiting until MSC Industrial opens in the AM and I will call them...it looks like they may ship here.

Alternatively I guess I could try to machine the bushing, but have never done this.

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought a 1/4 square one from ACT. It had to be shipped in but it came in fast I also have 3/8 & 1/2” broaches Busy bee has some broach sets that will do you too they are on my list of things to get!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@CalgaryPT : do you have a 3/16” broach? It would make your key way 4.7625 mm wide. All you need to do is machine the existing 5mm key down to 4.7625 (0.11875mm or 0.004675” off of each side for half the height) and you are done. It is called a stepped key.

Doing this for my surface grinder belt drive upgrade right now. I am going to make my own 16mm bushing for the one shaft bore and a 19mm one as well, if my 3/4” bushing is too sloppy in the new pulley bore.

Keith Rucker (and others) show how to make the bushings.

Not suggesting you not buy a 5mm broach if you are going to use it often; but for a one off...?

PM me if you need a 3/16” broach.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
@CalgaryPT : do you have a 3/16” broach? It would make your key way 4.7625 mm wide. All you need to do is machine the existing 5mm key down to 4.7625 (0.11875mm or 0.004675” off of each side for half the height) and you are done. It is called a stepped key.

Doing this for my surface grinder belt drive upgrade right now. I am going to make my own 16mm bushing for the one shaft bore and a 19mm one as well, if my 3/4” bushing is too sloppy in the new pulley bore.

Keith Rucker (and others) show how to make the bushings.

Not suggesting you not buy a 5mm broach if you are going to use it often; but for a one off...?

PM me if you need a 3/16” broach.

Thanks for the offer. I don't have any broachs. It's kinda something I wanted to learn how to do, as I may need additional hubs at some point. And just when I thought my options were limited I got an email from a company that has the exact hub in stock now. So I went from no solutions to multiple ones in a hurry. This forum is great.

P.S. Do you use an arbor press or hydraulic one for broaching?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Excellent:

I do not have an arbour press - would be preferred tool as one can feel the force applied to the broach.
I have used my small hydraulic press and the lathe tailstock - in mild steel and aluminium only, with small shim steps increments to reduce the forces.

kylemp

Sowa has them, try act since they are a distributor. Broaches are very expensive though.. I'm sure you already know this. I also stumbled onto a place called dmh machine tools. Never went in but they sell cutting tools. May be worth a shot on Tuesday.

Tom O

Ultra Member
You could grind a cutter and broach it in the lathe using a boring bar.
I have a 3 ton arbor press.
I was told that when broaching you take a bit of a cut then back off the pressure giving it a chance to relive tensions just in case your not quite square as it won’t take much to break them.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You could grind a cutter and broach it in the lathe using a boring bar.
I have a 3 ton arbor press.
I was told that when broaching you take a bit of a cut then back off the pressure giving it a chance to relive tensions just in case your not quite square as it won’t take much to break them.
I read the same thing. I once used a homemade hydraulic broaching machine, but that was years ago. I read once arbor presses are better because you need the tactile feedback for smaller work. Makes sense.

I'll talk to a few places after the holiday.

Thanks everyone.