• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Calgary - Looking to borrow a bearing puller

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Need to pull two motor bearings. 1.574 dia OD on a 0.656 shaft.

BEARLING.JPG

I can bring the rotor to you if that's more convenient.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@BMW Rider got the bearings off for me. Thanks Ed. They made a distinct pop coming off which now has me wondering if I can install new ones without having access to a press?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
You could probably use a socket or piece of pipe and a swing press
Even just a punch on the inner part of the bearing works too

BMW Rider

Super User
You can just drive them on with a hammer and a punch or as mentioned a socket that is a close fit to the inner race. Just don't hammer on the outer race.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You can just drive them on with a hammer and a punch or as mentioned a socket that is a close fit to the inner race. Just don't hammer on the outer race.

Were both bearings turning freely once we had them off? Do you recall? While cleaning the grease out of the front bearing it seized and refused to turn. Not sure but maybe I introduced some grit or swarf while cleaning it. It sure feels rough now.

trlvn

Ultra Member
@BMW Rider got the bearings off for me. Thanks Ed. They made a distinct pop coming off which now has me wondering if I can install new ones without having access to a press?
The pop was likely a bit of minor surface corrosion/rust breaking loose. Sometimes they creak or make another noise.

Putting the new bearing on "should" be easier. As @Chicken lights said, put the shaft in the freezer and heat the bearing. The thermal difference should allow the bearing to slide right into place.

A trick for warming the bearing is to perch it on top of an incandescent light bulb for a few minutes. Use a glove to pick it up. DAMHIKT.

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Just a little emory cloth rub to the shaft should clean up & facilitate a smooth mounting...ohh and, don't heat a sealed bearing, a very fine line between "just enough & too much" heat to the rubber sealing lip...had occasion to use dry ice on cat axles & torch heat (field expedient but much care required) on "open sided" bearings to mount final drive bearings...even then, big double handed full swing "chicken presses" often required to complete the job...this brings another point up if using the heat method...time management is crucial to getting the bearing seated fully, if it cools & shrinks to the shaft before reaching full depth, you cut the bearing off and use another one because the first will be destroyed before it moves again...ask me how I know this.....