CAD Technical Foundations

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
https://www.shapr3d.com/blog/what-is-cad-the-technological-foundations-of-cad-software

Good article on how CAD works under the hood, parametrics, file formats, & some best practices.

Quoting the article - see below info on file formats. I am going to try 3MF for my 3d printing instead of .STL files.

Common mesh formats​

Mesh data can be stored in multiple ways, which means you have a handful of options when it comes to mesh file formats.

STL (Stereolithography, Standard Triangle Language)​

One of the oldest formats. It’s a very simple file format that contains not much else besides a list of triangles. It is recommended to avoid using it whenever it’s possible, since it does not store unit information.

3MF (3D manufacturing format)​

The modern replacement of the STL format. Can contain unit, material, color and many other information that are necessary for manufacturing a part.

USDZ, GLTF​

These formats are very similar, both are optimized for visualization purposes as they store lighting and PBR material information. USDZ and GLTF are the standard formats for Augmented Reality as well. Most modern iOS (USDZ) and Android (GLTF) devices natively support these formats for viewing and for Augmented Reality.

OBJ, FBX, 3DS​

There is a long list of additional 3D mesh formats. These formats are primarily used by 3D graphics software, and they can be also used for interfacing between CAD systems and graphics software.

Pro workflow tips​

• Be careful when you are working with imported mesh data, like STL or 3MF files. Meshes are great for being used as reference objects for reverse engineering, but are hard to edit in a CAD system.
  • It is strongly recommended to use 3MF instead of STL, as 3MF is a modern format that also contains units unlike STL.
  • Don't trust mesh to CAD converters unless you really know what you are doing. These converters either just transform the triangles one by one to faces, or try to approximate the CAD geometry. Neither will lead to accurate results, and most often simply remodeling the part will lead to higher quality results. Even when the conversion succeeds, it might introduce hidden issues that can cause inaccuracies and modeling errors later on.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
https://www.shapr3d.com/blog/what-is-cad-the-technological-foundations-of-cad-software

Good article on how CAD works under the hood, parametrics, file formats, & some best practices.

Quoting the article - see below info on file formats. I am going to try 3MF for my 3d printing instead of .STL files.
I was using Fusion Mesh tools. I have a startup license which gives a few more options than the hobby license. I was easily able to convert a clean STL automatically into BREP. I choked on scan data. I would think that most things you download from thingiverse that are mechanical, are simple enough to do this type conversion. I am including an example.

In picture 1, I seperated the faces into groups. picture 2 same picture surfaces, picture 3 are surfaces that nee to be fixed to make it into a solid that can be altered easy. I estimate with these surfaces, it would take less than 1/2 hour to repair.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 4