BXA toolholders

88hillman

Shortly after buying my current lathe, a Chinese copy of the Aloris BXA QCTP was purchased as a set. I paid the minimal extra for the wedge style.

The toolpost I got in the set does work reliably, but the wedges are a poor fit in the main body and have a terrible canting action in use. The tool holders seem decent, though the screws were very bad. The Allen head recesses were so loose on any metric or imperial key that they stripped almost instantly.
As it goes there is always a need for more tool holders. Until now I've simply swapped tools in the original ones that came in the set.

I would be interested in suggestions for reasonable cost additions. Amazon CA has them for around $34/ea. There are even options on ebay CA for groups of 10 for $130-140. That is very cheap, but do I need 10? Are the current toolholders still pretty hit or miss? I don't mind replacing the screws as long as the body is well made, particularly the dovetail slot.

Essentially, are the cheap options worth buying these days for a beginning hobby level individual?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I've been satisfied with the Accusize holders I bought on Amazon. The screws are better than some other brands I have.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I would be interested in suggestions for reasonable cost additions.

I have BXA as well. I buy toolholders in bulk orders (usually 3 or 5 or 10). You can get 5/8 and 3/4 inch (called tall) as well as boring bar holders etc. lots of options.

I've been very happy with the ones I got from Accusize.

Until now I've simply swapped tools in the original ones that came in the set.

This is only a temporary problem. The best cure is to just give up all efforts to be a frugal hobbiest and go buy 20 more..... LOL!

MrWhoopee

Mill your own tool holders.
My experience has been that the raw material costs about as much as the finished toolholders (Chinese of course).

Here are the last ones I purchased. Nothing wrong with them that I could tell.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
everyone has different habits, but it is common to have at least 15 holders.

I have Aloris, Dorian, *really cheap* offshore, and more expensive offshore holders. apart from the screws and studs, they all work the same. I bought a bag of set screws made in Europe to replace the cheaper screws

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've thought about making AXA holders for my lathe but at the end of the day I can't justify the cost difference in materials and time vs. buying ready made.
I bought five AXA holders recently and they worked out to be $15.60 CDN each. I can't buy material for that cost.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Note that original Aloris will not go onto import post, they are too small.

I used all sorts of brands and they are they same, so buy the cheapest.

Also, you can make some of your own, I made a nice extra for AXA on my lathe and when using mild steel the results are awesome - also, you can make extra large ones for holding large boring bars etc. when going custom. I also have some that can hold two tools things like that.

Having more than 10 is standard, as Dabbler pointed out 15 seems like a good number, you can always get more, say 20. I think most pp will agree that under 10 is too few.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Note that original Aloris will not go onto import post, they are too small.

I used all sorts of brands and they are they same, so buy the cheapest.

Also, you can make some of your own, I made a nice extra for AXA on my lathe and when using mild steel the results are awesome - also, you can make extra large ones for holding large boring bars etc. when going custom. I also have some that can hold two tools things like that.

Having more than 10 is standard, as Dabbler pointed out 15 seems like a good number, you can always get more, say 20. I think most pp will agree that under 10 is too few.
I have 2 Aloris holders and they fit the Chinese BXA toolpost I used to have as well as the Armstrong one I have now. The Aloris is in the top right of the pic along with 3 various Chinese made ones.

20240426_155523.jpg

Last edited: