• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

BXA tool post pen holder

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
I was inspired by a BXA pen holder I saw on prusa. I printed it but it was incomplete. So I started over and made this one. The holes are M8 as that is what I had on hand. If there is interest I could post the .stl file.

Attachments

• F5139E10-C4EF-4EC9-89D5-ACD0F0187047.jpeg
    F5139E10-C4EF-4EC9-89D5-ACD0F0187047.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 469E5DE8-11E7-4D87-B66B-487F7370E187.jpeg
    469E5DE8-11E7-4D87-B66B-487F7370E187.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 55582105-FAAC-456E-ABB9-9AA90D0F8C03.jpeg
    55582105-FAAC-456E-ABB9-9AA90D0F8C03.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Say you want to turn down stock across 4". Without a DRO on the machine then marking a line on the stock where to stop is convenient. You're not going to hit 4.000" with this but 4.0" +/- 0.1" sure. The markings on my carriage dial are also irritating to use as one revolution is a strange measurement in inches. 3.2"?

It allows you to thread metric onto Imperial, Imperial onto BA, coarse, fine, anything you like really. The thread lines smear a bit but definitely no galling or seizing (haha just kidding, Janger would have to answer that).

Now if you had a die grinder in there with appropriate profile point, we'd be cook'n. I think Stefan did something along those lines with his Deckel spindle detached.

One thing I would say is holding different size permutations of cylindrical things, opposing Vee grooves are a better design feature. You have 4 tangent lines of contact area vs one with a bolt (point) on the other side. But then it would be some kind of clam shell, more parts etc

1666918914584.webp

It allows you to thread metric onto Imperial, Imperial onto BA, coarse, fine, anything you like really. The thread lines smear a bit but definitely no galling or seizing (haha just kidding, Janger would have to answer that).

Now if you had a die grinder in there with appropriate profile point, we'd be cook'n. I think Stefan did something along those lines with his Deckel spindle detached.

One thing I would say is holding different size permutations of cylindrical things, opposing Vee grooves are a better design feature. You have 4 tangent lines of contact area vs one with a bolt (point) on the other side. But then it would be some kind of clam shell, more parts etc

View attachment 27463

It's not over al'Thor it's never over. :D

1666921168156.webp
1666920984276.png

I'm still not sure what the point of a pen on a lathe is. Other than to play with the 3D printer.
It is the apex of the conical section at the far end of the cylindrical body of a pen. Normally it's the part that leaves a mark on the opposing surface. Almost everyone in the whole world uses this point to sign documents and make spatial marks for subsequent machining operations.

I don't think the presense of a lathe adds anything to the process except increasing the cost of the overall marking device.

I think @Janger is planning to mass market the device as a lathe powered marker with a modest 5% markup.

Back