• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Busy bee 1642

Jmcneil

Hello,
Anyone have any experience with a busy bee 1642 gap lathe? Just looking for something for the odd job in the farm shop.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 61C3A11D-5FF3-4D5A-B866-4AD8BA2CA273.jpeg
    61C3A11D-5FF3-4D5A-B866-4AD8BA2CA273.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 51

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like it came from the generation when BB sourced predominantly from Taiwan (better quality on average). The challenge might be specific parts if required, but that's a given with any offshore machines of this vintage.

trevj

Ultra Member
Geez. How long has it been since Busy Bee sold a 16 inch lathe?

Back in the day (damn that makes me feel older than the grey hairs!) the bigger Import machines were considered a pretty fair value for the dollar.

That is to say, pretty much anything North of 12" swing, and including some as small as that. It was pretty much those smaller than that, that cemented the 'import lathes are not worth it' mentality, at least, as I recall.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks like a nice lathe. If the price is right and it works as is, I'd grab it if I were you. As a farmer myself, that would do all my farm jobs plus plus plus. Mine is a lot smaller and it does everything I've ever asked it to do.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Looks like a nice lathe. If the price is right and it works as is, I'd grab it if I were you. As a farmer myself, that would do all my farm jobs plus plus plus. Mine is a lot smaller and it does everything I've ever asked it to do.
I dont recall where I saw it, but the price was 4000 IIRC