• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Busy Bee 12x37 toolpost question

Grant T

I recently purchased an older BB 1237 lathe. It was filthy dirty sitting in his shop for the past 15 years and full of grime and old chips. I took several weeks to completely dismantle it, thoroughly clean and oil everything, new belt, as well as a paint job. I was very pleased to find very little or almost no wear on the machine, I don't even think the 4 jaw has ever been used..
My question: Can a AXA tool post be used on this size of machine? Or would I need to go to a BXA size. I have a AXA on my Hercus 9A which I made 8 extra tool holders, so I would like to be able to use those on the Busy Bee.
The threading dial is somewhat confusing to me, the manual does not explain it very well, I will need to spend more time practicing with that.

I know some of you have the same or similar machines, are there any issue that I should look for.
Thanks
Grant

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
An AXA post is typically for a 6" to 12" swing lathe. I would think that it depends on the actual height of the carriage.

Six O Two

(Marco)
You should be fine with an AXA on that machine. I had the predecessor to BB's cx709 lathe, a 13x24, and I wouldn't have wanted something bigger than AXA on it, even though looking a a chart you'd think to go bxa.

Grant T

Thanks for the fast response. I will just need to make a tool post bolt. Probably thread it into the cross slide like the original square tool post, and turn it down to the dia of the axa bolt. Nice little project.
Grant

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the fast response. I will just need to make a tool post bolt. Probably thread it into the cross slide like the original square tool post, and turn it down to the dia of the axa bolt. Nice little project.
Grant

Some good size info here

I have BXA. I'm happy to measure anything you need.