• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bull Nose Tail Stock center

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Anybody know off hand what the taper angle is on a Bull Nose center? I have a home made center I am converting to a Bull nose center. Centers are usually 60 degrees to work in a cut center. Since it will only be used to center pipe or tubing is there any reason I shouldn't make it 80 or 90 degrees???

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good question. Its almost like anything goes for supporting tubing. I'm guessing you would need to apply a slight chamfer on the ID so maybe one train of thought is 45-deg chamfer on the compound = 90-deg included angle for tail stock center? The center could be made quite compact & you don't need it to a point. I see these live centers that have plug-in tips. Are you adapting to that or thinking of a dead center or? Keep us informed what you decided & how it works. I have some tubing work coming up myself & haven't crossed that bridge.

Attachments

• SNAG-1-26-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-1-26-2019 0000.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I decided on 80 degrees for very technical reasons. When I rotate the compound more than 40 degrees I bang my knuckles on the light standard.
OD is a bit over 2.375. I made the minor diameter so it would take over were my other one leaves off.

IMG_20190127_142556.jpg IMG_20190127_142705.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did you retrofit the new bull nose onto an an existing arbor make everything yourself?
I guess more what I'm wondering is whats under the lubrication nipple, like thrust bearing or twin roller bearing or....?
I'm thinking about a similar gadget but seems like the innards of live centers are pretty skookum surfaces & bearings.
OTOH, I'm using a dead center with a dab of grease :)

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Did you retrofit the new bull nose onto an an existing arbor make everything yourself?
I guess more what I'm wondering is whats under the lubrication nipple, like thrust bearing or twin roller bearing or....?
I'm thinking about a similar gadget but seems like the innards of live centers are pretty skookum surfaces & bearings.
OTOH, I'm using a dead center with a dab of grease :)

It was originally a student assignment from SAIT. The axle it turns on is a 1/2 X 2 inch steel dowel pin. It runs in a bronze bushing in the arbor. The grease fitting feeds a hole in the bushing. At the bottom of the hole in the arbor is a steel ball bearing that the back end of the axle seats against. The cone is press fit on the outer end of the axle. Not something I will use every day but for those occasions were I need something bigger it will suffice. The body of the arbor is free machining steel. Not very durable for hard use.