• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Building a gantry crane

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been asked a lot about building a gantry crane, and the discussion usually ends up with the enquirer buying a 1 or 2 ton Princess Auto gantry crane. The reason is that there hasn't been a much better option that is cost effective, easy to build but offers something that PA doesn't: portability.

Once you build the PA crane, that's kind of *it*... It is intended to stay in the shop or moved in one piece. I built mine to be transported and assembled in situ, but mine takes special equipment to erect that is also hard to transport... (mine is a 5 ton capacity, so everything is very heavy)

THE SOLUTION

This guy has built a very nice gantry that can be transported in a small car with a roof rack, straddle a trailer, and be erected by one guy in 10 minutes - without tools. Def an option for a guy with the tools and time to make one. and quite a bit cheaper than a PA crane. He sells plans for about 2 euros, and it is a great starting point if you are designing your own.

Here's part 1:

Gordie

Thanks for sharing that link. HolzFlo has impressive design/fabrication skills. I was wondering about his welding table and he has a video on that too..

Goldxxx

If you have the room they are ideal for moving heavy things from a utility trailer. If it was a portable unit that I can be taken apart and stored, it would come in handy. Wish I had a gantry when I moved my Brother in Laws fireproof file safe.
The pictures below is the homemade gantry that was used to deliver my lathe. Thanks again Kevin.

Attachments

• 544A9468-D786-477E-A845-50DB9AEB1488.jpeg
    544A9468-D786-477E-A845-50DB9AEB1488.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 15