• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Budget Mill Vises

Crosche

Super User
For all of you who own a "budget" mill vise like I do, please see the attached video for a design flaw repair that can be made relatively easily and may save you some troubles down the road. After watching the video I pulled my vise apart and the bearings fell out. Here is a photo of on of the races:

13876-2de6a145a17cfdcf7a7a39de0a90e79b.jpg

Check out the video and hopefully you can prevent damage to your thrust bearing before it's too late:

Attachments

• 20200410_144652.jpg
    20200410_144652.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I got distracted. Went into the shop this morning and both 5" vises are fine. Wont be able to check the 6" ones until the pile moves. perhaps next week.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
-checked my 6"ers and they are fully engaged, too. I wonder if he bought an extra-cheap vise - In the showroom they all look the same anyway, so you don't know until you mess with it...

Crosche

Super User
Another factor is that you have multiple vises, where he and I only have a single vise, so more wear and tear. I purchased mine from Busy Bee a number of years ago.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My first mill vise (a 6 incher) was from Busy Bee, in the days when they were still sourcing in Taiwan.

Actually one of my vises is a 5 incher that was used daily in a production shop for 40 years and is just fine. Bert never had another vise.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
My first mill vise (a 6 incher) was from Busy Bee, in the days when they were still sourcing in Taiwan.

Actually one of my vises is a 5 incher that was used daily in a production shop for 40 years and is just fine. Bert never had another vise.
How is Bert doing these days? Last I heard he was going into self quarantine

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
He's sort of breaking quarantine by having people from his church over socially. He's insisting I get moving on the last bits of the move, so I'm going over there - with appropriate precautions - and setting up for a final push of the move.

At his age with his health particulars, he's at extreme risk. I'm not on board with his new liberal attitude toward the virus. I've arranged to be there with 'no contact' and 'leaving no traces'. The best I can do.