• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bronze question

darrin1200

Darrin
This is also a little follow up from the Thread 'Brass $5 pound'
https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/brass-5-pound.11284/

I was looking at the second rod I have, and found a readable marking.
C63000
IMG_6611.jpeg

Which leads me to believe it is Nicle-Aliuminum Bronze rather than brass.

I use 510 Phosphor Bronze, for my accent trim rings in my pens, because it takes longer to oxidize (patina). Especially with a coat of Renaissance Wax.
IMG_6612.jpeg

What is the Nickle-Aluminum like. I will brobably do a small trial, but thought I would ask here as well.

I didn‘t know that about the the C63000. It turned very similar to the Phosphor `bronze im using. The yellow brass I have (unk alloy) turned more like dust.

I made three pieces, polished and rubbed with Rennaisance Wax.
I’ll try to take a picture each week, and see how the patinas develop.

I like the gold tone of the phosphor bronze for my use.

IMG_6614.jpeg

Thats what I’m hoping to compare. I want it to take a long time, as I don’t want the pens to tarnish to quickly. I’m curious about the comparison.

Thanks. A little beyond me, but I will give it a read. A quick look and it appears it might be better for my purposes, than the phosphor bronze. I’m really after the “gold“ look. But it is very tricky to bend the thin ph bronze. Needs to be heated so it won’t crack.

Back