Bridgeport milling machine

gmihovics

Garrett
what model of Bridgeport was this? from what I've seen, the common Bridgeport series 1 and 2 have a cylindrical section that lets you rotate the head from the front to the back of the machine. This one doesn't have that section and is very boxy. it also has what looks like a manual belt adjustment for spindle speed adjust so I would assume it's an older model.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That is an older BP - round ram plus old style of power for horizontal spindle. I think it is old old horizontal machine with a bit newer BP head installed on the RAM.

Still for 800 its a great deal - excellent for anyone starting machining. I mean its like half the price of little mini mill new (!!!)

I don't think the horizontal portion was made by Bridgeport. I can see no2 on it and one picture might have a makers tag, but I can't read it from my phone.... An old brown and sharp perhaps maybe a Cincinnati, not a k&t, as I have one that era.....

gmihovics

Garrett
interesting I'll have to look into how that works. it makes me think if you can just attach a vertical mill head to a horizontal mill, couldn't you use your vertical mill as a horizontal one then?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@gmihovics some mills have both horizontal and vertical spindles, and they are way cool. Get a picture of @kevin.decelles CNC mill, and you'll see. The Normal Bridgeport type of mill is not well suited to use as a horizontal mill.

This is/was a true horizontal mill, and there was an adapter plate to mount the vertical Bridgeport spindle to it. I can see the horizontal spindle and the belt arrangement in the photo. This is a promising buy IMO.

gmihovics

Garrett
yeah I did some more research and it looks like Bridgeport sold adapters so you could do just this. so this is actually a universal mill then.

gmihovics

Garrett
@gmihovics some mills have both horizontal and vertical spindles, and they are way cool. Get a picture of @kevin.decelles CNC mill, and you'll see. The Normal Bridgeport type of mill is not well suited to use as a horizontal mill.

This is/was a true horizontal mill, and there was an adapter plate to mount the vertical Bridgeport spindle to it. I can see the horizontal spindle and the belt arrangement in the photo. This is a promising buy IMO.
Anyone feeling super generous and willing to pick up and store this for me? haha

I am curious why it's sitting around on marketplace though. seems like a good deal if the machine is in a decent state. I would assume it's selling for its scrap cost at this point.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Not really. It is actually a horizontal mill that someone scabbed a BP head onto it. They did a decent job, considering, but not a universal mill.

A universal mill, technically is one that has a head with a 45 degree split in the headstock that rotates to give you horizontal, vertical and anywhere inbetween...

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is actually common for pp to add "heads" to old machines - someone from the US considered buying my small Rusonk mill for almost full price just to get the head to place on another mill. If I remember correctly it is possible to get BP heads on auctions for around $300 so not a big deal addition to probably a WWI vintage old horizontal mill.