• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bridgeport clone - $8500

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Worth about 4000 CAD with that Chinese vise on it. That is roughly max price unless it is really in like new condition. 8000 USD is new price.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
And it's a clone, I wonder (not that badly) what it has for tooling to make him think it's worth that much. Busy Bee has a little knee mill for $5500,,,,,, but it's still $5500.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
According to the seller it's a Shepard mill made in Taiwan.
Apparently I can get one brand new for....

wait for it.....

$8500

So I guess he's counting on the coolant pump, DRO, vise, R8 collets, x-axis power feed to be the selling features????

According to the seller this page is about a decade old so the price is more like $11K now.

http://www.bellmachineryltd.com/new_shepherd_3.htm

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I saw a lathe once... can't remember the make but there was a button that when pressed sent a shot of oil to all the required places.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
These additions are somewhat standard - any machine made in the last 30 years has at least a central oiling system. Its a little widget at the bottom left of the mill (usually) with handle that you play with once in a while from which little tubes go to some parts of the machine.

Coolant system is just a pump. Most machines also have it.

power X is maybe a bit more premium but pretty standard on many machines.

Vise is cheap Chinese POS. DRO is mentioned but nowhere to be seen - power X is the cheapest you can humanly get. DRO is if given Chinese - so $200 new. Given vise and power X brand I bet R8 collets are cheap Chinese stuff - $50 for a set new.

I sold *exactly* same machine (it has all switches in same places) with power draw bar (real deal not home made or off eBay clone of home made), coolant (did not know its a feature) oilier (also did not know it was a feature) X power feed from Taiwan and broken Y power feed with 1 collet and 1 end mill (did not know its a big deal) for $4000 CAD few months ago.

Looking at pricing power draw bar > cheap Chinese vise + cheap dro + collet set.

So $4000 CAD seems like a good price. Besides there was a mill in ON that sold for 1600 CAD that is here on this website - it was also same table size and I believe had at least one power feed but no vise and no cheap dro and no collet set. That was a deal.

Besides why would you place only ONE picture of the mill? Strange huh?

BTW my machine went to... Vancouver area... same paint...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The seller told me these retail for 11K new so he feels justified in asking $8500.
I thinks he’s going to be waiting a long time for a buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I love the internet!
While researching Sheperd milling machines I ran across another ad for the exact same machine. The photos are even the same. Listed for $6150

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classi...ertical-Turret-Milling-Machine_33019805.lite?

Seems the new seller is looking to make at least $2350 on his new sale. Or more if he paid less than the asking price of $6150.

Wow.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Looks like the seller took the end mills the original posting spoke of. “Too big for my shop” - interesting - that is crazy price.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Same picture. I’m quite stunned.
The email address of the original seller is still there so I emailed asking what it sold for as I need to try and fix a value on one. :D

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yup the same image alright.

Murray Charlton is/was a revered gunsmith, known for his work with S&W revolvers and served as the S&W warrantee provider in Canada. The loss of his services is greatly missed by the shooting community.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The seller got a bit testy when I told him that it seemed like he paid $6150 (or less) but is now asking $8500.

I googled Murray and did discover that he was a respected gunsmith.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Even 6000 CAD is way, too much unless it really come with lots and lots of end mills. It took me two months to sell the same machine for just 4000. New seller is doomed. He will loose money if he paid over 5000 for it.

Value is around $4000 in BC - maybe 5000 if you are desperate and need it now. Unless you get a great deal and snap it for $1600 like pp did in Ontario. I still cannot believe someone sold a nice mill for just 1600. They could have gotten twice that at auction and even after fees be ahead a 1000.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Even 6000 CAD is way, too much unless it really come with lots and lots of end mills.
When you sell something, especially if you are asking what appears to be more than the product value itself (tool, car, house, etc.) it is the seller's responsibility to detail (description, pics, history) why it is worth more. We all know that there could be tons of tooling here and other goodies, but w/o pics or a better description you open yourself up to probing questions. The seller has no right to get testy; he brought that on himself.