Brazed ratchet socket?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Has anyone successfully brazed steel hex stock within a conventional drive socket? I'm wanting to make a dedicated tool & basically keep the stock 'stuck' in there vs engaging the socket on the hex itself like a common bolt head.
I'm just guessing the hard chrome inside the socket might not play well with braze but I have limited brazing experience. Actually what I have is Harris Safety Silv 45, not brazing rod per say. I figure its only going to occupy the small annular gap between socket & hex stock & hopefully the torque will be entirely taken up by the stock, not the braze. I don't see anything on the WW Interweb which tells me its probably even sub-hillbilly.

Attachments

• EDT-28-07-2023 11.29.43 PM.jpg
    EDT-28-07-2023 11.29.43 PM.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve never silver soldered anything but I think that it could also be MIG or TIG welded in place. I’d grind the face of the socket down to expose the base metal and have at it.
If concentricity matters I’d venture to guess that the hex stock could be shimmed into the centre of the socket.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'll add it to my 149 immediate projects to TIG so that when I finally pull the trigger it will feel like a necessity rather than a nice to have LOL.

Soldering would work no problem. Clean, flux, flux and silver solder.

Strength is not as high as welding but but for your application not an issue.

Heck regular plumping solder would work.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Never tried brazing but have welded a few to make extra long (10-12inch) sockets. No issues that i remember.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Not brazed but I did make a smaller set of 1/4" drive allen sockets once. I just jb welded them in there and they worked fine for years. I cut the stubby end off of a set of L wrenches which left me the stubs to stick in sockets, and a straight section with ball end I could chuck in a drill. We used them for years when racing bikes, and as far as I know they're still in my old teamates toolbox. Never had one come out, but they didn't see a lot of really hard use.

Import ones are dirt cheap and everywhere now, but the cut off long parts with the ball end were very handy and I made another set of inch/metric for myself, and just chucked the stubby parts in the bin that time.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’d suggest MIG (or TIG) over brazing - quick and easy + stronger. I MIG welded a socket for my vise speed wrench and also for my custom drawbar wrench. No issues.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I have brazed lots of stainless & steel fittings using Bernzomatic NS3 rod. Should work fine on a socket.

MAPP gas will get hot enough, regular propane will work but is a pain on larger pieces.

Canuck Tire stocks it, I’m sure a real welding supplier will also have it.

IMG_6618.png

Read the initial post, wants to keep the bit from falling out, isn't structural, regular solder is just fine for that purpose and does not require as much heat into the part for a good joint.

Still would agree with MAP gas for doing the work, faster and easier allows more heat control.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks. Yes I saw some individual sockets on Amazon pretty cheap & probably at PA if I felt like driving. I was wondering if the black (impact?) sockets might be better from a braze bonding standpoint over regular chromed, but I really know nothing about them. Is the black from forging or heat treatment or a different coating. Above my pay grade unfortunately. I thought I read somewhere chrome was off-standish to brazing, but I might have it mixed up with something else. JB Weld crossed my mind as well which might be the better way to experiment. I could always cook the socket with a torch & start over LOL.

Makes me wonder how they make the little detent impression or cut inside a square socket hole? The things we take for granted when we are simply users, not makers.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
WOW @Janger - that is a good deal!!
Don’t need the imp sizes (have them) but i might just get it for the metric.
FYI - at Princess A - for 30 days after there sale catalog has expired- if you just ask, then they will give you the sale price.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks. Yes I saw some individual sockets on Amazon pretty cheap & probably at PA if I felt like driving. I was wondering if the black (impact?) sockets might be better from a braze bonding standpoint over regular chromed, but I really know nothing about them. Is the black from forging or heat treatment or a different coating. Above my pay grade unfortunately. I thought I read somewhere chrome was off-standish to brazing, but I might have it mixed up with something else. JB Weld crossed my mind as well which might be the better way to experiment. I could always cook the socket with a torch & start over LOL.

Makes me wonder how they make the little detent impression or cut inside a square socket hole? The things we take for granted when we are simply users, not makers.
The chrome should be brazable but it should be roughened. I'd choose the black ones however if I had a choice. I believe the black (impact) sockets are softer as not to fracture when used with power impact tools/wrenches.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I’d go with a black impact socket. Pretty sure it’s just an oxide coating. You could easily remove it from the inside by bead blasting or maybe a soak in the right oxide removing solution.

Brazing or welding anything chromed is not so great because of the fumes.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I try to avoid all welding fumes. I set up a home made fume extractor that exhaust into the garage/shop attic. MickeyMouse - yes but it works well.
I knew that welding galvanized materials (even after grinding off most of the galvanize) has lots of very nasty fumes. Makes sense that the same applies to chrome.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
the zinc in galvanized is not great, but I think the chromium is worse. I'd not want to do it in any volume. I've mig welded sockets and pieces a few times, just held my breath lol. the tack welds needed were so small I just put the fan on, opened the door and took a chance