• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Brass lecterns

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Finished a pair of brass lecterns (thing you rest your papers on to speak) for a shop up the road. I’d been trying to get things done in an hour here and there, and it was making me crazy, was able to get six solid hours on them yesterday.

Client’s… client? had a lectern they liked the proportions of, but wanted something fancier, I guess? 1 1/2” x 3/4” tube, about 0.1” wall, radiused corners. All silver brazed with oxy/acetylene, with a spool I picked up in a mixed bin of metal. Nice stuff, flows beautifully (that’d be the cadmium…), probably melts around 1200F. Also a good test of the Miller fume extractor I picked up a while back, worked well.

The guys up the street are adding the top, 1/4” plate, held on with blind 1/4-20 screws from the underside. No clean up on them, apart from rinsing them in hot water to get the brazing flux off. IMG_2579.jpeg

Test braze joint left, milled seat right. 1/8” cutter was a good match for the corner radius on the tube, having it socket in made alignment super easy.

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg
Really happy with that fillet. :) IMG_2584.jpeg
Full penetration, too! IMG_2585.jpeg
Nice and clean on the face.

IMG_2586.jpeg

No process photos, was just trying to get them done. Brazing on the real thing was harder, unsurprisingly, huge amounts of distortion (1/16” out over 5”) if I wasn’t careful about keeping my heat really even. Best results were from blocking everything up on firebricks, with the joint fully exposed, so I could get at the whole area with the torch. Ended up having to torch straighten the first few joints, before I got the hang of it.

On my ‘to buy’ list, a small-ish cast iron fixture table. You can’t clamp stuff like this down rigidly, it needs to be able to expand and contract, but getting things on a flat plane and at 90 degrees to each other quickly and easily would be great.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Very clean braze join, Slick work!
Consider lower % of silver, it will melt at a lower point! And maybe aid in distortion?
Food for thought.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Client’s… client? had a lectern they liked the proportions of, but wanted something fancier

I think the work is beautiful Stuart and very classy!

But your client's/client is out to lunch on what works. I have given hundreds of speeches in my time. If someone gave me a lecturn/podium like that I wouldn't use it. I'd grab the mic and walk around. A lecturn CAN be beautiful, but MUST be functional.

Only a woman with gorgeous legs could get away with standing behind that, and then the guys wouldn't hear what she said. A guy with great legs would still wear pants that would look funny behind it.

A good lecturn has a front skirt to hide the fly that you forgot to zip up after leaving the men's room, or the drink that spilled on your lap just before talking.

It also has a shelf for the portfolio you brought your notes in, and a place to put a remote to change slides, maybe two of them, and a laser pointer too.

A good lecturn also has a flat spot to hold a cold drink of water where it won't fall over and make the wet spot mentioned above.

A good lecturn has the cross bar at the front where it's out of the way, not the rear where it could catch your shoe or your pant leg or allow you to put one foot up on it and look gimpy or get tempted to play pocket hockey.

A good lecturn has a duplicate microphone holder and a small light so the speaker can see their notes when the room lights are dimmed.

Ask me how I know all these things.......

I know, the client is always right and always knows what they want. Your call about how much of the above you want to point out. Perhaps nothing.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
I think the work is beautiful Stuart and very classy!

But your client's/client is out to lunch on what works. I have given hundreds of speeches in my time. If someone gave me a lecturn/podium like that I wouldn't use it. I'd grab the mic and walk around. A lecturn CAN be beautiful, but MUST be functional.

Only a woman with gorgeous legs could get away with standing behind that, and then the guys wouldn't hear what she said. A guy with great legs would still wear pants that would look funny behind it.

A good lecturn has a front skirt to hide the fly that you forgot to zip up after leaving the men's room, or the drink that spilled on your lap just before talking.

It also has a shelf for the portfolio you brought your notes in, and a place to put a remote to change slides, maybe two of them, and a laser pointer too.

A good lecturn also has a flat spot to hold a cold drink of water where it won't fall over and make the wet spot mentioned above.

A good lecturn has the cross bar at the front where it's out of the way, not the rear where it could catch your shoe or your pant leg or allow you to put one foot up on it and look gimpy or get tempted to play pocket hockey.

A good lecturn has a duplicate microphone holder and a small light so the speaker can see their notes when the room lights are dimmed.

Ask me how I know all these things.......

I know, the client is always right and always knows what they want. Your call about how much of the above you want to point out. Perhaps nothing.
I think all your points are pretty valid (though it's entirely possible the end user is a woman with gorgeous legs. ;))

The brief, however, was 'copy this, but with this brass tube'. Made a sculpture stand, I think for the same client, out of the same tube, and I guess they liked it...?

I made a brass sink for the same shop, a few years ago. 1/8" sheet. Awful, would never do it again. We still joke about what a nightmare that was.

I'd like to get some quality time in learning to tig weld brass, see if that's a viable alternative. The zinc burns out, so fumes are an issue, but I've seen a few shops producing good work that way, so it can be done.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Very nice work. Not sure if it's posted how are finishing them?
They'll be brushed, something like a 120 grit finish, but probably scotchbrite. Not my department, though, the shop I did the work for has a professional finisher. He pre-finished all the material after I cut it a little oversize. He does some interesting car stuff, I'll drop by sometimes and he'll have a load of chrome bumpers and such.