• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

BP Clone Riser Block

Everett

Super User
Have to say a big thanks to @John Conroy for selling me his 6" riser block, and for wanting to come hang out and install it. Slightly different shade of gray but no biggie at all to me, I'm all about function over form. Went pretty painlessly and it was just great to have adult conversation again as I mostly converse with a preschooler and a 2-year-old, lol . . .

IMG_20220315_094743450.jpg
IMG_20220315_094748648.jpg
IMG_20220315_104420751.jpg
IMG_20220315_104428023.jpg
Now just to finish cleaning and tramming it, and it's in service again! Got some goodies to add to it once it's functional (quill DRO, way protectors, etc.).

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey looks good Everett and John. I'm sure that will add some nice capabilities to your mill.
I'm starting to miss talking to adults too, my first preschooler is soon a teenager and she already doesn't have much to say to me.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Way to go boys. That will add a lot of utility to the machine.

Fun facts: the max height from table to underside of quill is not that much different between a standard Bridgeport & RF-45 style import mill despite the weight & power difference. But on BP you can add a riser like shown to gain some attic room. The RF-45 is at the end of the trail, the gear head itself raises/lowers so limited by the dovetail column.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Slightly different shade of gray but no biggie at all to me, I'm all about function over form.

Despite you and others saying that it's no big deal, I think it's flat out ugly. I'd need to wear a welding Helmut in your shop. If you are gunna do stuff like that then at least go all in. Make it red or black or bright orange and make a real statement! Go big or don't go!

Nice add to your mill though. Do you lose anything? Or is most of any loss made up for by your vice?

Everett

Super User
Lol @Susquatch - if you're ever in the area I have a variety of welding headgear to choose from!

It will help with stuff in the vise or rotary table. They have a decent amount of room under the quill but it gets eaten up quickly with tall work or fixturing. Thankfully the drawbar isn't too high up either.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was kind of thinking that and hoping to do that myself actually but I have to ask somebody with a big lathe to do it cuz mine won't cut it. I've got the material (4140 log) and hope to have my brother turn the log for me someday. I've read though that the dimensions for the riser block for the 6x26 mills do depend on the particular model however. I remember seeing a little bit of differences in your column compared to mine.
I also don't want to take my mill head off to measure things until I KNOW I'm going to be making the riser block shortly thereafter.