Bought a resin printer!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
One of my kids is big into role playing games, Warhammer and a few others. They have been spending a fortune on models to paint so I decided to take the plunge on a resin printer.
Bought an Elegoo Saturn 3
Thing is massive!
IMG_1162.jpeg

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Nice. imo a resin printer and filament are two completely different tools. Having zero interest in Orcs or Ogres, I've used primarily for 3D casting pattern (lost resin in investment). The resolution is phenomenal.

It is messy and smelly so I set a system of working with it, stuff like plastic trays, paper towel on a wall dispensers, nitrile gloves, stand and filters to drain the resin back in to the bottles, plastic covered work area and foot actuated garbage pail with plastic bag liners. I also work under an oven hood functioning as a fume extractor that is vented outside. The work area is a chrome wire shelf thing on casters so I can wheel it out of the way. It took waaaaay more effort and set up to get it right than the filament printer.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice. imo a resin printer and filament are two completely different tools. Having zero interest in Orcs or Ogres, I've used primarily for 3D casting pattern (lost resin in investment). The resolution is phenomenal.

It is messy and smelly so I set a system of working with it, stuff like plastic trays, paper towel on a wall dispensers, nitrile gloves, stand and filters to drain the resin back in to the bottles, plastic covered work area and foot actuated garbage pail with plastic bag liners. I also work under an oven hood functioning as a fume extractor that is vented outside. The work area is a chrome wire shelf thing on casters so I can wheel it out of the way. It took waaaaay more effort and set up to get it right than the filament printer.
It's definitely smelly but less than I expected. I was thinking about epoxy or polyester resin which are awful. I bought water washable resin which is not too bad.
The size of the printer plus washer and UV curing units means I am going to rethink my printing area, which is right beside my work desk. Venting might be an issue because the basement windows are casements so I can't make an insert for a vent :(

...... Well, this sounds like @DavidR8 , but it could be a ruse....... Until he has doubled his money selling this one and gotten 50% off it's replacement with free shipping we won't know for sure......
David......blink if you can hear us....:eek:
Seriously though, congratulations on the new toy. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
...... Well, this sounds like @DavidR8 , but it could be a ruse....... Until he has doubled his money selling this one and gotten 50% off it's replacement with free shipping we won't know for sure......
David......blink if you can hear us....:eek:
Seriously though, congratulations on the new toy. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.
So far it's definitely trickier than FDM printing.
The technology is fascinating.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I bought a resin printer a while back....ended up giving it to a buddy who is into Warhammer and other miniature games

no doubt way more tricky! even just the slicing part has quite a bit more to it! but the detail in the things you can print is stunning

enjoy your new toy!