• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Boring Times in the shop

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
About a decade ago I purchased some BXA tool holders for my QCTP from a friend who was trading his lathe and didn't want to give away his tool holders. . Among them was a holder for a one inch boring bar. I didn't have a 1 inch boring bar and it's been gathering dust since. So my recent project was to build one. Also built some stubby ones for my boring head. One with a reinforcing block that anchors in two of the holes in the boring head.
PXL_20240920_160735441.jpg

Ahh.... So that's what you needed the Jax for:)
YES. I was not pleased with the finish on the 1 inch bar. My bottle of JAX is getting contaminated from reuse. I guess I should be discarding it after every use. If I get some new I'll sand of the old and do it over.

YES. I was not pleased with the finish on the 1 inch bar. My bottle of JAX is getting contaminated from reuse. I guess I should be discarding it after every use. If I get some new I'll sand of the old and do it over.
Most bluing/blackening solutions don’t like being contaminated and specifically state this (surprised that JAX instructions don’t mention this). I always pour a little of the solution into a small cup, use it out of the cup and discard whatever is left when the work is done.

Also built some stubby ones for my boring head. One with a reinforcing block that anchors in two of the holes in the boring head.

This is almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I say "almost" because I'd prefer WNMG Trigon or APKT inserts. I really hate those brazed carbide bars that come with boring bar heads.

So what you are suggesting is to modify a boring bar to fit instead of buying a ready made bar? If so, can you provide more details? I'm looking to copy your ideas and avoid any problems you encountered. "Continuous improvement" on a hobby scale if you will.

This is almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I say "almost" because I'd prefer WNMG Trigon or APKT inserts. I really hate those brazed carbide bars that come with boring bar heads.

So what you are suggesting is to modify a boring bar to fit instead of buying a ready made bar? If so, can you provide more details? I'm looking to copy your ideas and avoid any problems you encountered. "Continuous improvement" on a hobby scale if you will.
No commercial parts involved. I started with some cold rolled steel and machined the end to 1/2 the thickness and rotated it in the vise to get the flat portion parallel to the mill table. The pocket was milled with a 1/8 inch end mill. I set the angles by rotating the milling vise. For the bars that go in the Boring head I rotated the vise 30 degrees one way and the 30 the opposite. For the boring bar I used 25 and 35 degrees to create some nose clearance. If I were to do it again I would use 25 and 35 for all of them. The reinforcing block has a dowel pin in the center hole of the boring head. Cutting the pockets for trigon inserts might be a bigger challenge. CHEERS!

No commercial parts involved.

Wow! You made them from scratch! I'm impressed! I don't think I have the courage to try that..... On the other hand, it might be fun. A great winter project if ever there was one!

Back