• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Boring small holes in drop forged wrenches.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Without getting into too many details, I have need to bore 2 holes, 9/64" (~3.5mm) in diameter, through the handles of each of a dozen drop forged combination wrenches. Drilling isn't working well. @BaitMaster noted that I could consider heat treatment & anneal the wrenches. While that would probably work, I have concerns that it wold destroy the chrome. If no other option exists, I'll go that route. Otherwise, I'd like to keep the chrome intact.

Would a centre cutting carbide end mill work? Something else?

TIA

I had a similar problem, drilling 3/16 through a hardened shaft. None of my bits would take a bite, even a solid carbide end mill, but HiRoc drills made by M.A. Ford did the job perfectly. They require a very rigid setup, so don't try it on a standard drill press.

Without getting into too many details, I have need to bore 2 holes, 9/64" (~3.5mm) in diameter, through the handles of each of a dozen drop forged combination wrenches. Drilling isn't working well. @BaitMaster noted that I could consider heat treatment & anneal the wrenches. While that would probably work, I have concerns that it wold destroy the chrome. If no other option exists, I'll go that route. Otherwise, I'd like to keep the chrome intact.

Would a centre cutting carbide end mill work? Something else?

TIA
Way to leave out 3/4 of the story

“Not working well” lol

As a farmer I encounter forged stuff regularly. It can be a bitch to machine.

+1 on carbide spot drill and then carbide drill.

I wouldn't recommend a carbide endmill.

A note from ONE experiment. After you get the drill started use lower speed than normal and some pressure. For reasons I don't fully understand, this helps keep the cut going on tough materials. Use fluid or air to keep the cut clean. As noted above, I only did this once as a last resort. So my confidence isn't normalized. But it's officially in my tips N tricks to try now. If you do use it, please let us know how it went so we can build more confidence in the method.

What is the purpose of the holes? If location & size aren't super critical could use a rotary tool and diamond bit.

+1 to eotrfish. Such small holes will be a mess to do if using mechanical means. Waterjet undersized, and then remove by end mill is the approach I would use. Expect to destroy a bunch of drills and/or end mills.

The holes can be laser cut, but will add heat to the wrench. Lasercut holes are not straight, and you haven't mentioned it the holes need to be precise, or what surface finish you need. What is the value of the work? All of the suggestions above is going to cost you at least 25+$ per hole.

For 700USD you can buy an offshore portable sinker EDM, and then consume about 2 electrodes. By far the cheapest approach.

For 700USD you can buy an offshore portable sinker EDM, and then consume about 2 electrodes. By far the cheapest approach.

I've always wanted edm for a variety of reasons. But the price tag always stopped me cold. 700 US will be over 1000 Cdn. Although that is significantly less that what my earlier searches found, it's still too rich for my blood. It's all about priorities and bang for my buck.

No doubt it will work though.....

I've always wanted edm for a variety of reasons. But the price tag always stopped me cold. 700 US will be over 1000 Cdn. Although that is significantly less that what my earlier searches found, it's still too rich for my blood. It's all about priorities and bang for my buck.

No doubt it will work though.....
Home built solenoid buzzer types aren’t too expensive and can also be used to burn out broken taps.

Back