• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Bore Welding (and Line Boring)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Came across this video where he repairs a D10 tilt cylinder eye using a portable line boring machine, then bore welds it up and finally uses a modified boring/facing head to cut internal snap ring grooves.

I wonder what prevents the welding wire from twisting up into a ball as the torch rotates? Maybe the wire just spins in the welding torch?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Note that this is Australia - the land forgotten by machines and as reliant on coal sales as Saudi Arabia is on oil. In Canada we would not bother with so much work - we would just throw in a new part. Alternatively we would only bore out and put a sleeve in - through I think new part is the way we would roll in most cases. I know it can be seen as wasteful (it is) but alternatives are a lot of shop work which is not free at all. You have to get the part to the shop, move it out of the shop and even home shop guys charge around 85 an hour or so - and that is without special expensive tools as on video (they are showing off).

I have two large hydraulic cylinders in my shop now. They are a bit thinner then that rod but much longer (6 ft). I will make a video of me scrapping them to take out the rods. The rest to the scrap man. Each cylinder is around 80 - 100kg.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tom, you make some very good points about repair vs replace. I guess one needs to do a cost/benefit analysis before deciding which route to take.

That portable line bore machine/bore welder is made in Italy. As you know, a lot more parts get repaired in Europe vs NA. Maybe because parts are super expensive and it is still cheaper to pay a shop to fix it? Just guessing here, maybe the same is true Down Under, as I am not familiar with the shop rates / price of parts in Australia.