• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Blackened hot rolled steel

Rykol

This is what Forme Industrious appears to use in his treasure chest video.....

I think cooper cladding the chase might look better than steel on your fireplace...... maybe?
Funny I’ve had several people say the same thing. Even one that was a professional interior designer.
Truth is I just took down the copper. It didn’t work for me. As much as it was what worked for most others.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, I've tried wax on top of blackening. I have a few different kinds because I mess around with composites molds & such. It provides a similar seal & luster, but it doesn't stand up as well under oils, cutting fluids, solvents etc. For my machining parts I find WD40 works as well as anything. Who knows what's actually in the secret sauce, but light oil & carrier solvent - it penetrates the black oxide layer & kind of stays put enough over time. None of these cold treatments are rough & tumble finishes. You can see metal start to peak through on corners or wear areas or if you scratch it. But for some kinds of tooling or jigs you don't want any thickness like paint, so it has a purpose. I'm not really into the heated bath blueing like gun parts, which is a tougher finish I think,