• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Black colouring of dial graduations

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
yesterdays project, continued work on a Schaublin 70 I'm reconditioning, was the adding the black to the graduated dials. Thought you guys might like some photos

Like everything on this machine, it starts with a dirty mess. Unless the rest of machine though, there is not enough wear here to need much effort; I just polished the thrust bearing surfaces and cleaned everything up

MWZ_4059 mod-1300x750.jpg

Cleaning is done with a ultrasonic cleaner with water and some degreaser

MWZ_4061 mod-1300x717.jpg

after a good soak in the tub, the dial is clean but has no black markings in the graduations/numerals. The chuck is a 4 jaw scroll I picked up somewhere in a Levin 8mm lathe. I've got lots of little lathes but the Levin is the only one who's draw bar worked on the chuck

MWZ_4076-1300x864.JPG

The black is provided by a furniture repair stick of wax

MWZ_4094-1300x864.JPG

The idea is you put the wax to revolving dial and friction warms the surface enough melt it onto the dial

MWZ_4079-1300x864.JPG

I found warming the dial with an alcohol lamp worked much better

MWZ_4080 mod-1300x1953.jpg

Once the dial is coated in wax, you take a piece of brass with a sharp edge and 'carve' off the excess wax. This is just suspension spring from a clock that I had handy

MWZ_4084-1300x864.JPG

Vopila! a small amount of excess wax remained but was easily wiped off with a paper towel. I have to do another today, I may try to get a video

MWZ_4086-1300x864.JPG

MWZ_4087 mod 2-1300x812.jpg

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Nice!! How durable is wax?

thanks....hopefully very. I think its a standard method so I believe it has some tenure. It was easy to wipe off little remnants on the surface without seemingly effecting the deposits in the depressions...makes my think it will stand up.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
That looks great. I'm going to pick up a stick of that to try at work. We use Markal paint sticks for filling engraved text and other lines on our fixtures, but I'm always interested in trying something new.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
thanks. I didn't want to try paint on these as they are plated, satin finish or whatever. I didn't know how to remove the excess paint except with abrasive which would wreck the plated finish

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice. Very crisp markings. I was wondering the same thing about longevity. Even if it thins out over time, re-application looks easier over what would probably have to be catalyzed paints to adhere as well & that process is not without its own challenges. I'm sure waxes vary but some forms really are Mother Natures Super Teflon. When you consider the aggressive chemicals involved to remove trace amounts like pre-paint prep or it's still current use as mold release in tough conditions, its pretty amazing.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey that looks very good. Maybe a spray coating of some sort of a clear coat might make it longer lasting?

Hacker

Super User
thanks....hopefully very. I think its a standard method so I believe it has some tenure. It was easy to wipe off little remnants on the surface without seemingly effecting the deposits in the depressions...makes my think it will stand up.
The more I think about it, I believe this would be very durable as I know how difficult it use to be to get the grease out those dials. If the surface is clean the wax would adhere and the depressions would protect it from wear. The only places that it might not stand up is on the edges.

trials20

Cobble Hill
The more I think about it, I believe this would be very durable as I know how difficult it use to be to get the grease out those dials. If the surface is clean the wax would adhere and the depressions would protect it from wear. The only places that it might not stand up is on the edges.
Black nail polish. Wipe off before it goes hard or razor blade when hard.