• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bigger shelf project

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
34083259-1669-41C1-BCC6-A5CDD4E9205A.jpeg 36E8AF3A-7198-4DA0-919A-940DF17AE416.jpeg 53701CF8-DA9B-49B7-A751-39946CF3A655.jpeg There’s never enough storage in trucks, and that little pocket with a cup holder next to it is useless. That’s one of the shelves in the bunk.

Staring at it last year there’s a big fairly deep shelf about two feet above it. I though why not remove the cup holder part and get another shelf at a wrecking yard, then marry the two together.
So that’s the plan

Chicken lights

C333EF78-FECC-463F-A60C-5FF9B431E3F3.jpeg 6C5976DD-F04C-48BD-B146-608C3E0E50A5.jpeg There was a metal lip around the edge to get cut off, then the plastic trim needs to get cut down. I tried using a fence to guide the circular saw but that didn’t work well. Should’ve used a table saw but I don’t have one

Chicken lights

F145E45E-ED09-4E7F-B230-61863A0E2A0E.jpeg 064C8001-ED00-4893-BAAF-49C98F20674B.jpeg What the finished product will look like. I want to mock it up in the truck before drilling holes to bolt the two together. Then cut a piece of carpet or something to replace the missing carpet on the bottom of the shelf

Big improvement in my opinion. It goes by where my feet go so the extra stick out isn’t an issue.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Need a pic of it in the truck in order to appreciate it's ultimate use.

What's with all the crank shafts in the shop?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Isn’t it amazing how little things can make a big difference? Well done customizing the shelf for your needs.

Craig, you beat me to the crankshaft question...

Chicken lights

Isn’t it amazing how little things can make a big difference? Well done customizing the shelf for your needs.

Craig, you beat me to the crankshaft question...
I’ve never actually measured but I might have 10-15 square feet of floor space in the bunk, the more I can get off the floor and organized the better

Chicken lights

BAF9EFFD-B69A-4D5E-92DE-CD88E3CFAE9B.jpeg F4868D29-0A52-4F0F-A124-1D0C92F363CA.jpeg 641BDAA4-EDB4-4C3C-9238-B814AF9433D0.jpeg Picked up some carpet today. Figured a gasket cutter would cut holes but nope. Gonna go pressure wash the shelves and pick up some spray adhesive

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Ahh yes....remember well the trials of trying to find a [place for everything while "road-living"....those photo's remind me of my "Binder bunk" , tight after 2 or 3 weeks but still better than the old KW bunk that is still sitting in my yard.

Chicken lights

124C7B06-DD4C-4CB8-89B9-FE9974D5C337.jpeg 9B8A1FEB-F54B-4ACC-B532-3E17034D7B99.jpeg That 3M stuff sets up quick. Probably if I was to do it again I’d do 2-4” in a shot rather than the whole thing in one go. There’s no adjusting anything she’s stuck.

Time to go back to work but I think I’m gonna like that better

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
LOL.... Been there done that with adhesives a set instantly. You get one shot at getting it on straight.

In any event, I need a bigger picture of what this sleeper space amounts to.

Chicken lights

LOL.... Been there done that with adhesives a set instantly. You get one shot at getting it on straight.

In any event, I need a bigger picture of what this sleeper space amounts to.
16EAE48E-27E3-41E8-99C7-36D778EC9A91.jpeg She’s a 72” bunk which means I probably get 5 1/2 feet of wall space for cabinets. You can see the passenger seat.

By adding a third shelf I almost doubled the amount of shelf space I had :D

historicalarms

Ultra Member
wow,72 inches....that a "hotel room" compared to the 60" I was talking about. The 42" bunks (with the back window of the truck cab knocked out for the entrance) were the norm when I started trucking but their considered "day cabs" now LOL.

Chicken lights

wow,72 inches....that a "hotel room" compared to the 60" I was talking about. The 42" bunks (with the back window of the truck cab knocked out for the entrance) were the norm when I started trucking but their considered "day cabs" now LOL.
We really should compare notes again one day....I have a fridge and microwave, laptop, printer, small shop vac....all things that probably would’ve made your life easier. I do have a box of maps that I’m constantly adding to, but I don’t miss the days of pay phones and faxes.

I have more modern conveniences but you had more fun out here I’d bet, from the stories you’ve told

historicalarms

Ultra Member
We really should compare notes again one day....I have a fridge and microwave, laptop, printer, small shop vac....all things that probably would’ve made your life easier. I do have a box of maps that I’m constantly adding to, but I don’t miss the days of pay phones and faxes.

I have more modern conveniences but you had more fun out here I’d bet, from the stories you’ve told

Your sure right about another get-together....your parking spot is still there and grass will continue to be cut for your "yard".

Edited to add: give me a heads up if you are coming close by on a trip, I'll dig out my 800 lb torque wrench (Snap-ON I believe it is) and a 1" impact tool I still have kicking around so you can take them with you....you might as well have them as I will never have a use for them and sure need a new home where they might get used.

Last edited: