• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Best way to move 2500lb lathe from Edmonton garage<>Calgary garage

Jimbojones

Got a machine to move; weighs about 2500lbs. Is on a long pallet within a 7ft ceiling garage in Edmonton and need to bring it back to Calgary in similar situation.

I've used 'professional' machine movers before and they were HORRENDOUSLY priced and that was just within Calgary; city to city would cost as much as the machine.

Anyone either know a safe/inexpensive method, carrier and/or able to move such a thing themselves and want to make some $$$? Seeing that it's residential move, there is no loading dock and at most, a manual pallet jack which may/may not work, especially if we have to take it up an incline. Ideally a flatbed with a mini-forklift would be easiest...but that's also the most expensive option that I know of.

I've got a while to make this happen but really dont want do this in mid-winter....

BTW - please don't respond with conjecture/'maybe try this' scenarios. There is too much weight involved to experiment and actual moving-experience knowledge is whats needed to make this happen seemlessly as I cannot reconfigure the situation mid-effort. Getting the lathe loaded/unloaded are by far the biggest issues.

kylemp

I always just do it myself. Go up with a trailer and then pay a picker to pull it off when I get back and get it on something I can get a pallet jack under. 2500 lbs isn't that heavy, I'd just get a uhaul to move it. And I'm speaking from lots of experience.. what EXACTLY is it?

Jimbojones

Glad you have that experience but it doesnt take into account my existing moving capability
e.g. I cant 'go with a trailer': my vehicle can only tow 3500lbs and trailer/machine combo is beyond that
u-haul: unless they started renting trucks with 1.5+ ton liftgates, there is no way to load/unload a 2500 object in to one without a forklift, loading dock or self-made ramp e.g. their ramps are not made to handle that kind of weight

To be clear; I understand that I will have to 'get stuff' to make this work but I do need a package solution. Already had some clown via USHIP quote me $1500 and that STILL didn't include load/unload. Wingenback would be $2K plus....

kylemp

The picker I use does runs up to edmonton somewhat often.. he said he'd charge a decent rate to pick up there and drop off. If it's crated it'd be easier with the weather were probably going to get. Second to that, I believe penske has lift gates and decent prices on rental trucks.

L

Louis Dusablon

I moved my 4000 lb lathe, with driver direct with a picker, not sure how much they charge from Edmonton to Calgary, your machine is relatively light
there are several way to move it, you can use the jack and roll method, I made skates for mine. I have a post under the old lathe project which show the roller I fabricated for the move. my garage door is only 7ft high also

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
hey Louis, I couldn't find your posting concerning the skates... since your profile is locked down I couldn't find it that way...
Any chance you could post a link to it? I'm very curious.

L

Louis Dusablon

don't know what's up with my pic's they keep coming out sideways
my post was under Your Active project/Old Lathe Project

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17

Jimbojones

Any chance those skates are available? Look pretty skookum idea but I've only got 1-time use so doenst make sense to make my own

L

Louis Dusablon

Wish I could help but they are under the lathe at this moment.