• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

"Best lathe" European made $3,500 abbotsford bc

JReimer

Condition used- good.

This is another case of seeing a good condition lathe as a price comparison for your project.

but maybe there's good under that rust.

Screenshot_20230416_194926_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

JReimer

out of curiosity I reached out the seller. He said he used it for 12 years and all it needs is WD40 sanding sponge and oil it after. hmmm.

I guess if anyone goes and looks at it, make sure to pick up those items... and a big bucket of elbow grease (do they still carry that at Lordco??)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
out of curiosity I reached out the seller. He said he used it for 12 years and all it needs is WD40 sanding sponge and oil it after. hmmm.

I guess if anyone goes and looks at it, make sure to pick up those items... and a big bucket of elbow grease (do they still carry that at Lordco??)

Yeah, I think that is a bit misleading. Maybe to free the lathe you need some WD40 or better yet a penetrant. But to make it look like an actual non scrap lathe I think "elbow grease" will be rather multiple elbows. I have cleaned enough machines in my life to say its hours and hours and hours of work.

The rust may easily hide some rather extreme bed wear. I mean compare to "normal" looking used lathe below - the one on top looks... well... not so good.

It also speaks about previous owner - if he let it sit outside (I guess) and rust so much what kind of care, if any, did he apply during its working life?