‘Berta recruiting

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Spoke to a fellow at the grocery store the other day. He and his wife just sponsored a family from Ukraine. The stories he told me were something else. I walked away feeling pretty guilty about all I have, and so lucky to live where I do. I've only lived in Alberta and Ontario, but it seems to me all provinces have their charms, as well as their financial advantages and disadvantages. And while I am certain there is some number play at work in these promotional drives, I also know that I would be grateful to live in any province in this beautiful country. And interestingly enough, I have become more appreciative of the diversity in this country as I get older—not less. I credit food culture for this; it's hard to be racist when you're chowing down a nice curry or a steaming bowl of Pho, etc.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Spoke to a fellow at the grocery store the other day. He and his wife just sponsored a family from Ukraine. The stories he told me were something else. I walked away feeling pretty guilty about all I have, and so lucky to live where I do. I've only lived in Alberta and Ontario, but it seems to me all provinces have their charms, as well as their financial advantages and disadvantages. And while I am certain there is some number play at work in these promotional drives, I also know that I would be grateful to live in any province in this beautiful country. And interestingly enough, I have become more appreciative of the diversity in this country as I get older—not less. I credit food culture for this; it's hard to be racist when you're chowing down a nice curry or a steaming bowl of Pho, etc.
Have you ever had newfie fries? Fries, gravy, cheese curds, gravy, peas, onions, gravy and stuffing is the most common recipe, I believe. Newfie steak on a bun (fried bologna) is good too

It’s a bit odd driving in some parts of Manitoba and Saskatchewan seeing the Ukrainian/European style churches and buildings, the large spire on top and all. Not odd in a bad way, but it seems very grandiose in contrast to the bleak prairies.

You could always sponsor a lost Ontario boy to Alberta, if you’re looking to spend some money ;)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We live in an absolutely awesome country!! Lucky us!! I’ve spent most of my life in Ontario and worked in places like: Hemlo; Kingston; Milton; Port Dover; Cornwall; Sudbury; Meaford; Timmins; Meldrum Bay; Kincardine & many more. I’ve been coast to coast in this beautiful country a couple of times. Spent some time in Medicine Hat (Suffield) followed by several years of coal mining out west. I’ve experienced the true Newfie life style in Burgeo before there was road access to that coastal village. The Newfoundlanders are our best kept secret- amazing people - “Come from away” pretty much said it all. For 3 years I worked in Texas, New York and North Dakota. I’ve been in most every State of the US plus spent several weeks in both China and Eastern Europe.
The point of all this rambling (as I said at the start) WOW - Canada is an absolutely awesome place to live! Lucky us!

CW

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Have you ever had newfie fries? Fries, gravy, cheese curds, gravy, peas, onions, gravy and stuffing is the most common recipe, I believe. Newfie steak on a bun (fried bologna) is good too

It’s a bit odd driving in some parts of Manitoba and Saskatchewan seeing the Ukrainian/European style churches and buildings, the large spire on top and all. Not odd in a bad way, but it seems very grandiose in contrast to the bleak prairies.

You could always sponsor a lost Ontario boy to Alberta, if you’re looking to spend some money ;)
When I briefly lived in Toronto my Newfie landlady was the wildest, most crazy person I ever meet in my life. Completely off the charts. Half the time I was scared to death of her and the other half I wish she had been my mother. The lady could cook like she was born with skillet in one hand and a 26er in the other. I adored her. First time in my life I had a friend that was so much older than me. I love Newfoundland's people. I wish I could one day see the place.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
We live in an absolutely awesome country!! Lucky us!! I’ve spent most of my life in Ontario and worked in places like: Hemlo; Kingston; Milton; Port Dover; Cornwall; Sudbury; Meaford; Timmins; Meldrum Bay; Kincardine & many more. I’ve been coast to coast in this beautiful country a couple of times. Spent some time in Medicine Hat (Suffield) followed by several years of coal mining out west. I’ve experienced the true Newfie life style in Burgeo before there was road access to that coastal village. The Newfoundlanders are our best kept secret- amazing people - “Come from away” pretty much said it all. For 3 years I worked in Texas, New York and North Dakota. I’ve been in most every State of the US plus spent several weeks in both China and Eastern Europe.
The point of all this rambling (as I said at the start) WOW - Canada is an absolutely awesome place to live! Lucky us!

CW
Good for you. You are so lucky to have seen so many places and feel this way about Canada.

Chicken lights

Do it! We car toured NS for two weeks and loved it so much, we did a second car tour from Fredericton NB to St. Johns NL. Two of the best vacations we have ever taken.
I tried to chat with as many NL people as I could when I was to the island- one lady summed up winters nicely- “Dey’s rabbit hunting, snowmobiling, curling, ice fishing, darts, ice skating, moose hunting, hockey, snow races an’ more what you mean how’s winters ‘ere”

Can’t really argue with that LOL

Chicken lights

Signs on the horizon is pointing to east or west, leaning west. Less than a year and probably pulling stakes

If I go west that gets me closer to the territories. East gets me the islands and water

possibly heading south, but I hate to think on leaving this country

no politics

Chicken lights

CW
From my experience, Alberta or Newfs our are best people- most of the maritimes are solid people and most of the prairie folk will treat you right

no politics

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow. Big choice.
Other than a year in Alberta and a few years in N. Dakota - Ontario has been home. Too set in my ways to leave now.
Almost was in Denver with a green card 40 years ago. If I’d pulled the trigger on that I’m sure I’d still be in Denver.
But hard to beat Canada - Ontario 1st choice and Alberta a very close 2nd.
The options you mentioned are all good. No bad choices. Best of luck with wherever you land.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Signs on the horizon is pointing to east or west, leaning west. Less than a year and probably pulling stakes

If I go west that gets me closer to the territories. East gets me the islands and water

possibly heading south, but I hate to think on leaving this country

no politics

You will be ok no matter where you go. It's what is inside a man that counts. Not where he plants his roots. Just follow your heart.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I’ve lived in a lot of places in Canada, just came back from a trip to Montreal/Toronto/Markham/Smiths Falls, spent most of last January in Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. Work has sent me to Tennessee, California, Utah, Massachusetts, New York, Illinois. Most recent Old World trip was Poland, Holland, and England. We live in Paradise, there isn’t anywhere in Canada that doesn’t have something that makes it special.

Except maybe Port Alberni, possibly the armpit of the universe. But that’s just my experience, YMMV.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As long as we are talking about Canada, I've seen almost all of Canada and pretty much travelled the world too. It's actually easier to say where I have not been than where I have.

Columbia, Nicaragua, Haiti, Cuba, Russia, N. Korea, Brazil, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam, the jungle countries of Africa, and prolly many of the tiny city countries too.

Most of my travels have been business related. So I saw the countries as they really would be if I lived there, not as a tourist attraction.

I can say without any hesitation, that anyplace in Canada (except Toronto) really is the best place in the world to live. My second choice would probably be New Zealand and then Austria, then Australia, then the mountain states of the USA.

All that is just to say that I think we Canadians are all very blessed.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Agreed whydontu and Susquatch - Canada is pretty awesome. Ive seen 100s of airports and lots of the world. Lived in Alberta and N Dakota. Born and raised in Ontario and it’s hard to beet. Loved my 2 trips to Nfld.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I’ve lived in a lot of places in Canada, just came back from a trip to Montreal/Toronto/Markham/Smiths Falls, spent most of last January in Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. Work has sent me to Tennessee, California, Utah, Massachusetts, New York, Illinois. Most recent Old World trip was Poland, Holland, and England. We live in Paradise, there isn’t anywhere in Canada that doesn’t have something that makes it special.

Except maybe Port Alberni, possibly the armpit of the universe. But that’s just my experience, YMMV.
I'll bite. What's the issue with Port Alberni?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thats because Manitoba and sask have the highest population of Ukrainian's in Canada by a good margin...or did...being from there i have Ukrainians in my extended family, hard not to if your from mb or sask! Cant go far without finding a uke/pol church selling perogies and borscht on a Sunday that's for sure!

I have a decent ear for Ukrainian (although i cant understand it), i hear a lot more of it at the grocery store in the last year than i have in the last 14 being here (calgary), must be lots immigrating, good for them

we need more people.......now we just gotta build a shit ton more housing! and fast