• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bending a wrench

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Has anyone successfully bent/reshaped a wrench? It’s marked alloy steel. Will it need to be tempered?
thanks

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know I've seen wrenches bent on family farm to fit certain applications, I doubt they were rehardened but also doubt they had their original strength. I'm guessing that in those cases maximum strength wasn't necessary but accessibility was the most important. I'd guess that unless you know the nut is on really tight you'd probably be okay with a bent wrench if it has decent size to begin with.

Brent H

Ultra Member
We have heated up and bent a number of wrenches for different applications. I especially like bending the Snap-on ones as it really boils some of the Snap-on purists blood. LOL

depending on the application and where you bend the wrench (like stay away from the ends as you want those parts more wear resistant) there is not a lot of strength lost that would destroy the wrench in normal use.

we have also cut wrench’s and welded them to extensions. My lathe wrench is 7/8 on one end and 9/16 on the other - just cut two wrenches and welded them together - works great!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
+1
I've bent, cut, welded alloy wrenches but never tested them to the breaking point. They have always tightened/loosened to what I needed. My tractor uses 15mm and 17mm so I cut and welded the open ends together so I only need to carry one wrench.
How much bend do you need?
Edit- No Brent H,,,,, I did not weld the open ends together,,,,,

Last edited:

Everett

Super User
I've got a number of "special" wrenches . . . Cut, bent, welded, etc from years of being a mechanic. Never tested strength against a new one though. Got a bin of "sacrificial wrenches and sockets" in the bottom drawer of the tool box just for that purpose.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I am more concerned about it hardening. I wouldn’t want it to shatter if I dropped it on the floor. Drill rod has done that to me.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well if you didn't quickly cool the wrench after heating being brittle shouldn't be an issue.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I've got a number of "special" wrenches . . . Cut, bent, welded, etc from years of being a mechanic. Never tested strength against a new one though. Got a bin of "sacrificial wrenches and sockets" in the bottom drawer of the tool box just for that purpose.
Why is it that you can have 6 different length/shape/angle of the same size wrench and none of them work in the spot you’re wrenching in?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Why is it that you can have 6 different length/shape/angle of the same size wrench and none of them work in the spot you’re wrenching in?
I think engineers sometimes design things that way because they get a chuckle out of thinking how some poor sap is going to struggle removing a part.
I have an old Ford tractor that getting one starter bolt out/in is damn near impossible. It's easy to do if you have the injector pump off but to get the injector pump off you almost have to have the starter off! I've tried several different specialty wrenches and adaptations but nothing worked well (or most not at all).

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not an expert but I think there is little risk of it hardening by heating it to a state of red, doing the bend & letting it cool on its own. A proper quench requires it to come down in temperature rapidly. That's usually the bigger challenge, making it come down fast enough. Even air quench steel alloy usually means it has external air blast or clamped between plates to (both keep straight and) pull heat away. I think annealing things like files so they can be re-shaped into blades is essentially this process, but longer soak & normalization. Now will the wrench have internal stresses or maybe changed chemistry if not in carbon rich/neutral flame, probably. But probably still worth a try if the need requires & tool is mostly sacrificial. There used to be a place in SE that sold used tools & machines. Wrenches & screwdrivers were spit cheap, they had bins of them. But I think the place is no more.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Some pawn shops have bins of wrenches for a buck or two, and auctions are great for sacrificial sockets and wrenched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There used to be a place in SE that sold used tools & machines. Wrenches & screwdrivers were spit cheap, they had bins of them. But I think the place is no more.

They were called “Quality Tools” on 52nd beside RONA in Forest Lawn. Owner told me that the overhead was too much and not enough consignments flowed through the shop any more. Used to get my $10 coveralls from them. They dabbled into Antiques for a while in the end - that stuff was overpriced - then they shut down.

Everett

Super User
I usually get mine from garage sales, pawn shops, places like that.

Made a few specially bent wrenches over the years, especially 15mm box ends bent 90 degrees for 5.9/6.7 Cummins turbo nuts, and 90 degree 9/16" box ends for Dodge transfer case nuts. Only issue I had was that they evaporated into others' tool boxes . . . never broke one though, even with snipes on them!