• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bench Top Lathe

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
This little Lathe is a perfect size for a hobbyist. It is on consignment at modern tool for $1900. I had a quick look in the cabinet and saw new tool holders for the quick change tool post, a new 4 jaw chuck, steady reast follower rest and a face plate. Machine is used but shows no wear. Daljit@moderntool.com for more info. 20170216_144921 (1).jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
Looks to be a good machine I had a larger one of theirs with a 4" bore it was nice to work on. I've been watching your videos on youtube I'm starting to drool for a cnc never had one before lol but am still looking at Smithy/Automate a new version https://smithy.com/automatecnc/vmc425 not sure what it costs to get it up here for customs I haven't contacted them yet because I still have to insulate and board the inside of my garage. I'd like to see your sybl to see how it manages it would probably be better for a cnc noob to start on you seem to be happy with yours.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have not had any problems with my cnc lathe yet. You are welcome to come see it run if you want to. If I was going to upgrade to a bigger machine I would take a serious look at the Pinacho cnc turning centres that modern tool has in stock. They seem really cheap plus easy to set up and operate. Is there anyone else in Alberta that sells entry level cnc equipment? I feel the reason this equipment is hard to find is there are not many people out there that want to invest in a cnc that they can install in there garage and use for the fun of it. Anyways when I bought my machine I was close to driving down the the USA and getting a cnc lathe in California but it all seemed like too much of a gamble. The Siyl machines are a safe bet I like my Ex250 cnc lathe and my buddy has been running allot of parts on his Syil x4 cnc mill. They seem tough and reliable for sure. The drawback is these are really small machines.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know zip about these machines, but I do see a lot of Tormach's being used my home shop machinist types, model engineering, gun makers & similar forums. They seem to have a good following, support & ancillary tooling. https://www.tormach.com/mills-and-milling-accessories.html
There is a Canadian distributer in eastern Canada but I'm not sure that's the only way to get one. Used ones come up too. There are probably forums & blog sites where you can get a good sniff test of any issues, praise, limitations etc. The Youtube NYC CNC guy is obviously sponsored by them, but there are a shload of vids on his site using Tormach & in combination with software you will likely use or at least consider, Fusion360 & the like.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have been using fusion 360 allot. I mean every single day since christmas and i am just about fed up with the glitches. I am for now done designing new parts in fusion. I would rather try learning a different program than try to struggle through all the dead links and missing features. I will use fusion again if i have to but untill then ill probably stay away.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I haven't been to Modern Tool for a while George sold me a Colchester lathe years ago but most of their machines are too big plus the power issue I'll still go down there to look around. I've seen the pics of the Pinacho machines but haven't heard of any feedback. The other thing with the Automate is with the upgrades it's $48,000 Canadian but that gives you the 4th axis, thats a lot for a cnc noob to yell " HERE WE GO! " I'll have to download their simulator for a few months and play with it before comitting. I'll fire them off a email and see if I can get the price to the door.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
For that kind of money Tomas Skinner will deliver a Haas mini mill too. They are $36 000cad. It is an amazing machine i see them used in alberta from time to time around 15k-20k thats allot of money but you are buying allot of machine.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I think that was a demo model that they had on the showroom floor at TS. I didn't look into it because it's not in my budget.